Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission jack adapter

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Hi all, need to drop the 4l60 out of my vp and put in a t5.

Are those cheap transmission jack adaptors you see on eBay any good for a couple of uses?

I’m eyeballing my jack and the height of these things plus a box on top and I may not be able to jack the car up high enough?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I've been wondering the same thing so imma follow this thread.

My jack/stands I bought when I had a 4x4 so it gets my car up a good 0.8-1m or so off the ground but I still don't feel comfortable bench pressing a 4l60 as they are heavy bastards, nearly killed me when I did it in my old VS.

So I've been eyeing these off myself.

the 4L60 is a big beast so the car needs to be reasonably high off the ground.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Yes that’s why I’m having doubts. Was about to order one for $70 or so, but went to do a sanity check in the shed.

Perhaps better to use a sheet of thick plywood and countersunk bolt to hold it to the jack? Might not be so high? But then again I’ll need to check if the jack can raise the box high enough to slide input shaft in and bolt it up.

I think as long as the box doesn’t wobble too much lateral stability wont be too much of an issue with a single bolt and nut.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Years ago, I used a piece of steel that had been bent in a semi-circle, with a chain welded to it and the round piece on the bottom, similar to the trolley jack piece....

You slotted the steel into the trolley jack, wrapped the chain round the gearbox and jacked the trolley jack up and slid the gearbox into the motor.....

Made life oh so easy...Was on a 5 speed gearbox into a V6 VN motor....

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Motorcycle lift works quite well. That's what a local mech used when he pulled the engine from my old ute, that he had raised on jack stands.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I made my trans. jack support that will bolt to my jack.

I have the rear of the vehicle sitting on 3 ton stands which stand on a 2 pavers, that are about 50mm thick?

To roll the 4l60 out the rear of the vehicle l think you need 670 mm?

When doing the 6l50 converion, had the trans out multiple times. The trans. jack support worked well.

Here's a pic with the 6l50 on it.
1689585726919.jpeg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorcycle lift works quite well. That's what a local mech used when he pulled the engine from my old ute, that he had raised on jack stands.
I've been checking out some m/c lifts, & wondered if they would lift high enough, get low enough to wheel the trans out?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi all, need to drop the 4l60 out of my vp and put in a t5.

Are those cheap transmission jack adaptors you see on eBay any good for a couple of uses?

I’m eyeballing my jack and the height of these things plus a box on top and I may not be able to jack the car up high enough?

Link?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
What about if you have car up in air on 4 jackstands then with adaptor on trolley jack supporting transmission take trans member out you should only need to wiggle auto back with large screwdriver or prybar then lower to ground & wiggle it off trolley jack.

With it up on 4 jackstands just need it tad higher than needed to slide auto out....be sure convertor etc is free everything undone & no obstacles..

Gearbox way easier to put in done long tedious way but t5 not really heavy.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride