Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trick Ecotec engine for twin turbo's

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I found some pictures of an Ecotec engine I did in 2018 for twin turbo's, "O" ringed block, copper head gaskets, LS tie bar lifters, a bit different than the usual mods, worked well and still going strong!

IMG_20180523_150250494_HDR (1).jpg

20190521_190023 (1).jpg

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
The tie bar lifters fitted with no modification?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The tie bar lifters fitted with no modification?
Yes, just a little grind in places on top of the lifter bores to clear the tie bar pivots. Only some tie bar lifters work that still have shrouding over the roller and doesn't uncover the oil gallery holes in the lifter bores. These were Johnson lifters and Comp Cams is another who does a shrouded lifter that'll work in an Ecotec V6.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Like to hear some more on that build please.
Sounds very interesting.
tia.
It was a VY block with a steel crank stock stroke sourced from the USA, Spool H beam conrods and 0.040" oversize JE 2618 material custom forged pistons. Balance shaft was removed with the rotating assembly internally balanced with a Crow hydraulic roller cam, 0.520" lift, 226/231 @ 0.050" on 110 lobe centres. Heads were VY smooth port CNC machined with stainless valves, VY size that have a larger inlet valve than the earlier Ecotec engines and stock rockers that are good for a thrashing and ARP head studs. Compression ratio was set at 8.9:1.

I don't know what turbo's the engine ended up with or the horsepower it made eventually as they played around with a few combinations. My role in the project was building the engine they fitted into a pretty nice black VT Commodore. Gearbox was a Tremec TR6060 from a VE2 SS with a custom bell housing. ECU was a Motec M4 with 3 ignition modules firing the coils individually on wasted spark running on E85.

The owner was a bit of a turbo enthusiast and wanted to do something different than the typical V8 conversion!

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
It was a VY block with a steel crank stock stroke sourced from the USA, Spool H beam conrods and 0.040" oversize JE 2618 material custom forged pistons. Balance shaft was removed with the rotating assembly internally balanced with a Crow hydraulic roller cam, 0.520" lift, 226/231 @ 0.050" on 110 lobe centres. Heads were VY smooth port CNC machined with stainless valves, VY size that have a larger inlet valve than the earlier Ecotec engines and stock rockers that are good for a thrashing and ARP head studs. Compression ratio was set at 8.9:1.

I don't know what turbo's the engine ended up with or the horsepower it made eventually as they played around with a few combinations. My role in the project was building the engine they fitted into a pretty nice black VT Commodore. Gearbox was a Tremec TR6060 from a VE2 SS with a custom bell housing. ECU was a Motec M4 with 3 ignition modules firing the coils individually on wasted spark running on E85.

The owner was a bit of a turbo enthusiast and wanted to do something different than the typical V8 conversion!
Thankyou!