Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trimatic.. how much power can they take?

ported

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk calias
How much can they take without modification. Im getting a 400 od hp motor and i want to know how long the auto will last. Also im wanting to put around a 1500 stall convertor, I hear that they do this by modifieing the existing convertor so how is it done and how much will it cost?
The other option is to put a supra 5spd behind it what would this involve apart from the obvios pedalbox, tailshaft, crossmember?

ported

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk calias
ok so asked a few ppl a few questions today and found out that
1) 1500 stall is way to small I need more like a 2500-3000
2) Stock trimatic can only take a liltle bit more than the stock power of a 308
3) I need atleast a stage 2 shift kited box whitch also involves adding stronger clutches and a few other bits and peices.

So if anyone has a shift kitted (stage 2 at least) trimatic they want to get rid of let me know please.
Another think i need to know is the specs of the cam so I can figure out wheather the stall will be right, all i kinow is that its "auscar" spec if anyone could give me futher info on what spec cams auscars might run and more inportantly when the fun will start please let me know

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
If its for the VK why not go for a a 4 speed auto from a 5L VN?? You should have more options to make it stronger. Bolt pattern should be the same. Its not computer controlled so it should work alright.

cheers
Scott

Phantom VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
If its for the VK why not go for a a 4 speed auto from a 5L VN?? You should have more options to make it stronger. Bolt pattern should be the same. Its not computer controlled so it should work alright.

cheers
Scott

You'll need to change the block if you want to run a turbo series gearbox.

There is 2 patterns

Holden Patten suits trimatic

Turbo pattern suits TH350,TH400,TH700

I run a Trimatic in my VK (300hp) with stage 2 shift kit & 2500rpm stall.

ported

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk calias
Yea I though about the turbo 700 but then i would have to adapt it to the block. Im trying to do the whole convertion for under 2500 so dont have much left over for the auto. O well looks like i'll chuch the supra box i have in.
Hows yours to drive with the auto phantom?
Do you have any problems with trans heat?
How is it on fuel?
Does you motor supply enough vacum for changes?

Phantom VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Yeah it drives really good. I'm gunna put in a VL turbo diff to drop it down to 3.45 ratio :yeah:

I've got a fairly large PWR trans cooler so it stays fairly cool.

It's running rich at the moment - still sorting out the tune. It uses about
20l/100km on the highway.

No worries with the vacuum, plenty there.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
the trimatic I'm running in mine I'm told is good for about 450HP at the flywheel, anything more would require a lot of stronger internals hardened gears etc. its a 2500 TCE hi Stall, Full manual valve body so vacuum for shifts isnt an issue, it shifts hard, like a stage 2 shiftkit would i guess. Talk to Trade Matics in Geelong if your in VIC he built mine had it a couple of years now and it takes a bit of punishment although nowhere near 450HP...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i've had a standard traumatic behind a brocky modified 308 for years and it's handled the abuse ok, bands need some adjustment but thats about it really. been driven hard for many years with an engine producing easily around the 180 + kw etc. my only complaint has been the converter which is way to small for the application causing issues with the engine stalling at idle if it's less then about 1000rpm when dropping into gear etc

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
the trimatic I'm running in mine I'm told is good for about 450HP at the flywheel, anything more would require a lot of stronger internals hardened gears etc. its a 2500 TCE hi Stall, Full manual valve body so vacuum for shifts isnt an issue, it shifts hard, like a stage 2 shiftkit would i guess. Talk to Trade Matics in Geelong if your in VIC he built mine had it a couple of years now and it takes a bit of punishment although nowhere near 450HP...

Nice :drink:

Good take off?

Trans cooler?

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
definitely running a trans cooler, you have to, and bypassing the plumbing into radiator. doesnt launch too well, tends to sit there spinning the wheel (only a 3.08 single spinner in it atm), but good when it hooks up, easily chirps the tyres from 3500rpm upwards into second...