Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tripin'...

chris 2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
iam wondering if someone could help out , i have just put a level 3 cluster and put the level 3 short loom in , have added the air con wires to it , everything but the headlight switch which works on the lights but instrument cluster is not illuminating , i looked at putting the bcm ( from a vs berlina ) but it had 5 plugs and my vs 3 ute only had 3 , checked all the wires out and everthing seems correct

chris 2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
also right blinker isnt showing on cluster , put it in on old short loom ( no tacho cluster ) and had the same thing but that might be a problem with the printed circuit , checked bulbs and there fine , anyone got any ideas on the problem ??
will pull dash pad out tomorrow and have a good look at the wires

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
iam wondering if someone could help out , i have just put a level 3 cluster and put the level 3 short loom in , have added the air con wires to it , everything but the headlight switch which works on the lights but instrument cluster is not illuminating , i looked at putting the bcm ( from a vs berlina ) but it had 5 plugs and my vs 3 ute only had 3 , checked all the wires out and everthing seems correct

The Calais headlight switch is wired up differently to the Executive. Most peopel can get around the A/C - but the way the head lights work stops the progress.

I'd recomment just splicing in the wires from the two L3 plugs you need to your Exec dash loom. Head lights will work, A/C will work as will rear demister (for a sedan).

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
also right blinker isnt showing on cluster , put it in on old short loom ( no tacho cluster ) and had the same thing but that might be a problem with the printed circuit , checked bulbs and there fine , anyone got any ideas on the problem ??
will pull dash pad out tomorrow and have a good look at the wires

What part number on the cluster?

chris 2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
pulled the dash out ( didnt bolt it back in as i was running tests first before putting everything back in ) all wires were correct but found blue plug number 2 was around the wrong way , it came like that from berlina i got it out of last week , the other thing was the cluster has copper pieces that slot over each plug and they were pretty flat and needed to be lifted a bit so contacts worked better and that fixed that up and to top it off put the original headlight switch in and worked ( berlina never worked right from day one , you put the ignition on and try the light and the lcd screens would go out once parking lights came on but thats all good now i have 3 headlight switchs and the best is the original one i had in the ute which is very strange

chris 2012

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
It was worth the 2 days work pulling the dash out and all the work to find the problems , would be easier to do a 2nd one in the future , going through the wires there were some differences between a 1996 berlina and 2000 ute but only a few , got a complete loom out the back and thats a mind field of wires that run everywhere

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I think 88GreenVN might be on the right track. The macho is jumpy and reads zero when going over 4k rpm. Do you still think it's the pcb or the tacho causing issues.
If you have the standard cluster you can fit the tacho from that to the HSV 250k unit - see if it jumps around. All the parts can be swapped between the HSV and standard L3 cluster. So you can swap the green PCB backing or the voltage regulator if need be. The only thing unique between them is the speedo. And the sticky lables that say it's a HSV part. :)

Problem is solved I think/hope. Changed the tacho over and problem was solved. Also did the PCB as well just to be sure. I think it was just the tacho that was the issue but did the pcb while it was out.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I think 88GreenVN might be on the right track. The macho is jumpy and reads zero when going over 4k rpm. Do you still think it's the pcb or the tacho causing issues.

If you have the standard cluster you can fit the tacho from that to the HSV 250k unit - see if it jumps around. All the parts can be swapped between the HSV and standard L3 cluster. So you can swap the green PCB backing or the voltage regulator if need be. The only thing unique between them is the speedo. And the sticky lables that say it's a HSV part. :)

Well I thought I fixed it. That voltage reg is that part of the tacho? I pulled the tacho out and the PCB out a working cluster and it is doing the same thing. So I can rule those 2 things out now.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I thought I fixed it. That voltage reg is that part of the tacho? I pulled the tacho out and the PCB out a working cluster and it is doing the same thing. So I can rule those 2 things out now.

have you checked the connection on both ends of the tacho wire?