Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tubular Steel Frame - What Welder

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Am thinking of starting an offroad buggy for a project. Just trying to get an idea as to how much i will be spending on the initial set up.

The main thing I am unsure of at the moment is what welder would be best for this as I will mostly be using chrome moly tubing.

I was leaning towards tig as the wall thickness for chrome moly isnt huge but figured that seeing as there are some experienced welders on here i may as well get they're advice.

Thanks

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Why are you using chromoly tubing for an offraod buggy? Would have thought it wouldn't be strong enough to take the abuse its likely to cop.
I was planning something similar but with mild steel tubing and that means you can use pretty much anything to put it together - mig, arc watever.

aZk.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
main reason is you can save weight as you dont need the same wall thickness to get the same strength... my aim is to get the power to weight as high as i can so i figured it was worth it

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
If your using chromoly tube your only option is TIG. If your competing MIG welded chromoly won't pass scrutineering. must be TIG welded.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Sweet i had read that tig was the best option but i had seen on tv them welding the frames with mig but then i wasnt sure if they were chrome moly or not

any tips from anyone about it? i've read a few articles on the web about how to best go about it but wondering if anyone has any extra advice from their own experience

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
With the right engine, power to weight is irrelevant. GSX1300R engine all the way....

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
GSX1300R engine all the way....

you read my mind lol... but if im going to build a buggy i want to try and make it the best i can
got all the software i need to come up with designs and so forth so just want to get everything right

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I have been looking at a new welder for myself and have settled with a Unimig 250, its an inverter welder that has Mig, Tig & Arc.
It will do gas & gassless wire.

Around the $1200 mark but it should be the last mig you will buy.

My problem is I might not weld for a while but then use it heaps so having to use gas isnt always an option so I tend to use the gassless wire.

cheers
Scott