Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tuning Help (another tuning question...)

billa911

Reaction score
Members Ride
<not entered>
Hi All

I need help in tuning my system. Can you give me some sample settings/suggestions -

My setup -

Focal 4160 amp - powering the sub and front splits
Focal 165FX splits
Pioneer AVH HU
Focal SBP30 sub (ported box) (rear facing)
Boot & front doors - Dynamated

I like punchy rich bass with crystal clear sound. The splits are doing the job at clarity but bass is not rich n punchy. Feels very very lacking

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Ok first things first - lets make sure its wired up right :) Judging by that equipment, I'm guessing you have the splits running off two channels of the amp, and the sub bridged on the other two? That would be the ideal way to have it wired. With your head unit, do you have the RCA's connected to the front output for the splits, and Sub output for the sub? Don't laugh - people mess this up often. Also, have you had the gains set correctly? All of that should be correct before you start playing with crossovers or EQ settings/bass boost.

billa911

Reaction score
Members Ride
<not entered>
Thanks Timmah for your response

Gains were set by the installation guys (Lifestyle store). They reckon they have done it correctly but I am not happy with the system

The cabling & RCA has been done correctly. Personally I wanted to get the gains set using the Oscilloscope but lifestyle guys didnt have the equipment.

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Ok, so its most likely a tuning issue then. Most places wont tune tooooo much unless they're asked to, because there is no 'perfect' tune that will make everyone happy. The lack of punch will most likely be a combination of midbass and Sub settings - there may be a gap or cancellation in the frequencies they're playing, causing the issue you're describing. I'd have a look at the head unit settings, and see if it has a sub low pass frequency setting. You could raise it slightly (say its on 50Hz, or 63Hz, raise it to 80hz or 100hz) and see if that helps. Also, how is the low end bass? If you listen to a rap/techno track, is there the low end thump (or doof) or is that lacking too?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Can I also point out... and there is a very good chance this has nothing to do with it...

you have a metric **** tonne of power being fed to your front splits. You'd have so much headroom and clarity it must be amazing!

But...

You're feeding 350ish wrms into a 300wrms vented/slotted sub. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good the sub is... you whack it in a vented box and it will always play loud and low... but sacrificing clarity and richness.

Not saying you have the wrong gear but to achieve the sound you want with what you have will be harder. Effectively, the only thing I wouldve changed is your enclosure.

As for if they set the gains correctly or installed the cabling properly... well before you can say if they did or didn't. Ask yourself, would you really know As it's not your profession. That statement was not me taking a shot at you lol

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
A lot of people expect too much from focal subs. They are very unique in they're sound. Traditionally they are lower & mellowed in output, which a lot of people don't like. Hat being said, I run a single focal 27KX in a 3cuft slot ported box tuned to 33hz in an SQ system.

billa911

Reaction score
Members Ride
<not entered>
I took it to the car guys. He did some tuning with which the bass improved a lot. It got richer and more thumpier but now It feels like I have lost power in my splits. They sound very bland

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Can I also point out... and there is a very good chance this has nothing to do with it...

Its better to make sure its tuned to his liking as much as possible, before asking him to spend money on a new sub box. I've seen 'you should have bought' so many times, when a proper tune could get the system sounding at least CLOSER to what the owner wants.

To the OP, this is the problem with getting your system tuned by someone else, if you're not there during the process. We used to have test and tunes here in Vic, where someone (judge or advanced competitor) would help out with tuning in real time. Everyone's definition of sound and even descriptive terms differ, so getting someone to help you tune while you're in the car would probably get you the best result. Do you know anyone who has a system that sounds how you want yours to? They might be able to help tune yours - assuming they tuned their own (not done by a shop). Or even ask the place who installed yours if they're willing to tune it with you in the car.