Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo V Super Charger

Super Charger or Turbo

• Super Charger

Votes: 77 73.3%
  • Turbo

Votes: 28 26.7%

• Total voters

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Pretender said:
As above but the supercharged motor runs out of puff as the revs rise.

Not sure where you getting you info from there....

I haven't experienced "Run out of Puff" in a L67.... the first time I nailed it... It redlined so quickly and stomped all the way up there... I quickly backed off cause it wanted to spin the tacho right around the dial... I wasn't sure if the previous owner had removed the limiter... It spun to 5800 easy !!!

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
i also doubt they would run out of puff, but i can understand that a turbo would pull alot harder higher in the revs...still i like the idea of super charger, bolt on seems so much easier, for me anyway, i'd rather a simple mod that gives nice improvements...

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
OK, I just did a lot of reading.
I am now up to speed with current systems.

I was wrong in saying that supercharged motors run out of puff.
This was true about twenty years ago but current systems have a linear curve producing power all the way up to maximum revs.
Both fitted to identical motors and both running 10psi will see the turbo produce peak power between 2000 and 3000 rpm and will produce more power and torque overall than the supercharged motor.
The blown motor peaks high in the rev range for power but produces much of it's torque at low revs.
That is nearly as opposite as you can get from my previous post.
Too late to take back my previous post and I think I'll read a bit more before posting. Two errors in the last week I've made.

Back on track with what I've learnt,
costs are about the same for standard installations.
Turbo cars will use less fuel as they are not on boost all the time
A turbo will produce more peak power running at the same boost
Superchargers generally are longer lasting

Now I'll crawl back under my rock

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
k cheers for the help fellas. i love the suden rush of the turbo but i also love the S/C's low end power (mmm spell that rubber). keap the info flowing.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ever thought about just doing up your n/a engine?
also you cant say modern engines have stuff all lag because of advances in the technology!
the only advances have been that materials used, which are lighter, but the reason you skyline has no lag is because what do you think a normal buyer would be more inpressed with? a car with a smaller turbo that has less power and torque but feels like it has a "better" engine because there isn't a heap of lag or a car with a huge turbo that you need to get out a 24 hour stop watch to time how long it takes the turbo to get the fin's spinning fast enough!
its exactly the same in the road and dirt bike world. 2 stroke has better power to weight ratio but they are less reliable and have a very prominent power band where as a four stroke has more torque and a smoother power band.
now guess whats happening? the 2 strokes are becoming less popoular because of their power band because its impractile to ride. and 4 strokes have strpped up the pace because they are revving higher and their power curves are more like a 2 strokes top end but but with torque down low.
you will get sick of a turbo'ed car if you drive a s/c car. s/c is more practile with the main downside being about 20-30% of power lost through the belts resistance.
so a turbo will produce more power but its not anywhere as usable (ever tried keeping a turboed car at peak power while not going in a straight line?) but a normal person will be faster in a s/c car.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
i guess the mods cant help themselves...bloody moved post. cheers garfa 4 the info.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
u gotta remember also a turbo creates alot of heat for an engine, not to mention all the strain on internals. I think turbos are more suited to inline engine, eg ford 6's VL's , supra's, skylines etc... as they have a hot side(exhaust/turbo side) and a cool side(intake/fuel side), all the heat from exhaust side can stay on the hot side with very little interfearence of heat into the intake side = better more efficient power. Personally if i were to do up my ecotech i would go Naturally aspirated mods.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
hmmm, s/c's dont seem to put excesiv strain on the engine so wouildnt that be a better alterantive the n/a engine.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
96vscommodore said:
hmmm, s/c's dont seem to put excesiv strain on the engine so wouildnt that be a better alterantive the n/a engine.

Any forced induction setup be it Turbo or S/C that is running decent boost will require stronger internals than an N/A equivalent... both work on the principal of more mix in makes a bigger bang and more pressure on the piston.

Thats why the S/C Ecotec has stronger rods and teflon coated piston sidewalls which reduce friction enabling them slide in the bores easier.