Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo V Super Charger

Super Charger or Turbo

• Super Charger

Votes: 77 73.3%
  • Turbo

Votes: 28 26.7%

• Total voters

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
all so with forced induction you get more bang for the buck
i perfer turbos because you can drive them like a na vehicle and if you want you can set them up to drive like a supercharger allmost constant boost but be prepared for the fuel consumption to go through the roof

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
Garfa I can say modern turbo technology has reduced turbo "lag" to bugger all.
The stock R33 turbo was designed about 1989, ball bearing and ceramic turbine wheel, it was the duck's nuts for its day.
The HKS that the car now runs is absolutely brilliant. It spools up faster and at lower rpm. It can make enormous boost and is easily maintaining 20psi at the limiter.
It's the right turbo for that engine with a beautiful linear power curve.
If you inherit an ancient T3 or something from a truck and bolt it on your engine, then expect less then exciting performance.
It costs a heap experimenting with different turbo/engine/cam combinations and luckily Skylines have a big following to draw info from, whereas a turbo'd ecotec is cutting edge stuff.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Remember also that different types of superchargers have different characteristics amongst themselves...

For example a positive displacement supercharger such as the roots type blower on the L67 generally provides more low down torque, at the expense of lower efficiency and an increased intake charge temperature.

A centrifugal supercharger will have less torque down low due to the design relying on the momentum of the air (which is reduced at lower revs) but has a lower intake charge temp and therefore will produce a little more power for the same boost pressure.

Another point to consider is that the argument that you cannot cool the intake charge with a supercharger is absolutely NOT true. All centrifugal type blowers can be intercooled and even the Eaton M90 on top of the L67 can be intercooled using a special adapter plate that bolts between the blower and the intake manifold.

All in all, it depends which you prefer more... Instant kick in the back from the moment you press the pedal, or having to wait for the turbo to spool up and then copping it. It also depends if you like the wank factor of adding a BOV and getting "psssssshhh" when you back off the throttle.

Each to his own really, but my personal preference is the supercharger simply for its instant power, and also for its own wank factor of the oh-so-delicious whine coming from the intake when you nail it.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yeh...lol i could never own a BOV cause i allways diss ricers for having em. yeh id love of the line kick so S/C is lookin the goods :)