Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo V6?

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i think, if you don't have an intercooler. have an inlet temp gauge so you can keep an eye on things.. my ca18 in not intercooled a the moment and on hot days the inlet temp is over 100 degrees. no wonder i did a head gasket. considering it runs pretty high boost..
i would love to know where to get an inlet temp gauge. as i want one for my commodore..

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
so if you are going to run under 14 psi should you need a 2 bar map sensor???

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Yes, I think that's right. "2 bar" is the sensor's range, not a maximum pressure. So the sensor will measure both vacuum and positive pressure up to 14psi.

dvs_24, external wastegates are better for high-boost applications but an internal one will be fine for most applications. There's a reason few factory cars use external gates - they're cheaper and easier, and they work fine unless you're going nuts.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
yeh im not gunna go all out n go nuts lol im only after alittle taste of this so call boost :p lol

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
internal wastegates are a pain when making a dump pipe

im going copper headgaskets atm, engines in peices, new valve springs(tighter) and just other bits and peices for more boost!!!!!!.. shes gonna be intercooled with a external wastegate one day need a fulltime job to help pay for it... working at a pizza shop isnt the best for the wallet but atleast its fun

still doable!!!!!!!!!!!

i just spent $400 on parts for my top end ;) should do nicely when shes turbo'd

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i don't understand why you say internal wastegate is hard to to make a dump pipe with. have a bit of a look around. you can buy flanges for most turbos. then you just weld pipe onto it. the turbo that is going on my v6 in iunternaly and it has a small cast dump pipe (if you could even call it that) and it has one outlet for the exhaust.. some people do go for the seperate pipe for the wastegatee out of the turbo and yes that would be a bit of stuff around.. but if you use the same pipe it is easy