Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turboing VL

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
This thread title gives off strong 2006 calaisturbo . Com vibes.

What block have you got? Series 1 or Series 2? Series 2 has the relevant tappings for water/oil.

How much boost are you hoping to pump into it? A low boost setup really is all that makes sense since you're not planning to keep it that way for long. Turbo, manifolds, injectors, , brakes, tune.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What has this got to do with his question ?
Hm, maybe it’s related to his insurance becoming void with some mods?

So in reality it’s just a “heads up“ for OP to think about the consequences of his mods, if insurance and/or registration is important to him, whatever his mods may end up being…

For example, my insurance company will not provide me cover if I supercharge my VF commodore. This even though the LFA and driveline was installed into the VF shell at the Holden factory and the cooling system and misc items were later massaged/upgraded by HSV during their rebirthing at the HSV production line… which interestingly could have had all those bits added more cost effectively at the Holden assembly line but then it’s just hard to call it a HSV at that point…

Really, the OP needs to assess what he’s actually trying to achieve and just do that from the get go as it’s not rational to “cheaply” turbo an engine then throw it out to do a 6 to 8 conversion :rolleyes:

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
In all seriousness, stamped logbooks only tells me a little bit on older cars... There are people out there who fake the service entries and there are also cars out there that have been well maintained, even if the logbook hasn't been completely stamped, throughout the car's life...
That’s true but when buying a car the whole conversation has to start somewhere. And the starter is usually “do you have records of your vehicle‘s service history” :p

And I’d be especially weary of an owner who recently modded their vehicle and can’t provide any service history.

Such is true for whether one considers a newer or older vehicle o_O

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
That’s true but when buying a car the whole conversation has to start somewhere. And the starter is usually “do you have records of your vehicle‘s service history” :p

And I’d be especially weary of an owner who recently modded their vehicle and can’t provide any service history.

I don't know if the rules are still the same in NZ as when I lived there but you can or could do more to a car legally than here. Someone who lives there will know far better than I do.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega

Each to their own, but when I'm looking at older used cars, I check the condition of the car before the service records, which only tell you a bit about the life and condition of the car... Plenty of cars out there have false entries on the logbook...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Each to their own, but when I'm looking at older used cars, I check the condition of the car before the service records, which only tell you a bit about the life and condition of the car... Plenty of cars out there have false entries on the logbook...
Obviously when looking at a car you’d also check the mechanical condition yourself, if you are capable, or get someone else to check it if you are not. It’s not important whether checking the car occurs before checking the service record, just that they are both checked… With some things knowing the service history can be helpful, for example, when the cam belt, coolant, drake fluid, trans fluid, etc, were last changed.

This holds true for both newer and older daily drivers so no need to differentiate. However, with much older cars it depends on what your plans are for the car - checking for rust and completeness (no missing bits) may be much more relevant if your planning a full restoration for what’s going to be a Sunday cruiser.

OP hasn’t said much about what and how he plans to use the car, just turbo it for the summer and do a V8 conversion after. We don’t even know whether it’s going to be a road driven car.

Whatever he does, good luck to him and hope he makes a build thread with lots of pictures.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't know if the rules are still the same in NZ as when I lived there but you can or could do more to a car legally than here. Someone who lives there will know far better than I do.
They are more lax than down under (lucky buggers) but that still doesn’t negate asking the question of insurance and rego authorities if you’re planning mods and it’s going to be a road driven beast :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Service records in a book mean diddly squat to me....

We will just take a gander on here and read all the comments how mechanics couldn't see a worn belt to save their life, or only an apprentice did the job on the car, so doubt things were done properly....We'll just wack a sticker where ever and that'll be good enough to say it had something done, despite it not and just bang a stamp in the book with a "she's apple" scenario

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
They are more lax than down under (lucky buggers) but that still doesn’t negate asking the question of insurance and rego authorities if you’re planning mods and it’s going to be a road driven beast :p
I don't know if it has changed but the hot rod association were the ones who did the ok for modifications.