Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tweeter postitioning

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Hey!

I've got a pair of Hertz splits i want to throw in the VY series II.

Just wanting to find out if anyone has placed the tweeters in the doors next to the woofers as opposed to having them in the dash?

Hope someone has had some success with this because that'll make everything alot easier :thumbsup:

Cheers

EDIT: also i tried putting the woofers in the stock baskets and theyre a little too big, any success stories with this kind of problem would be sweet!

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
Don't know about the VY but I threw an extra set of tweeters in the doors of
my VZ used a holesaw to cut the panel sounds great ;)
69870d1251237964-choosing-splits-tweet1a.jpg

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
looks tidy, my tweets dont have that kind of surround they're better off in the dash or doors where ya cant see em

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Down low on/in the doors or up on/in the dash is a better place anyway. You want them as far away as possible to make the distance from each tweeter more similar.

I've had mine in my dash and in my kick panels and both sounded fine. The dash is probably a better place for imaging.

Why will mounting them in the doors be easier? When I was doing mine putting the tweeter in the door meant running extra wires thought the door loom as the crossover would be in the dash. The only way it'd be easier if the crossover was mounted in the door, but it's best to avoid this as you don't want moisture near the crossover.

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Well that's another thing i'm trying to get my head around. Wiring.

To run my splits i need + & - straight to the crossover, and then its easy to wire in tweeters and woofers from there.

But i dont know how its currently set up with the current splits. Are they being fed from a crossover aswell? Or does each tweeter and woofer go straight into the deck

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Also i hear getting to the tweeters is quite difficult also. If only i could find a tutorial!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The speaker wires (+ and -) from the amp/head unit go to crossover, then the crossover has a + and - output for the woofer and a + and - output for the tweeter. So if the crossover is in the cabin, you need to run wires to the woofers in the doors and wires to wherever the tweeters are going. Luckily there is already ONE set of speaker wires already going into the door for the speakers already there.

Are you running an amp or just from the head unit?

Getting to the tweeters is pretty simple in the VT/VX, I don't think it changed much. Someone else will have to give you instructions on that.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I have the tweeters for my Type-x splits on the map pockets next to the woofer (this is in a VS). The only issue I have with this is that the positioning of my leg alters the sound fairly significantly.

Near the vent like VZ Rob did sounds good as well. I'm not sure about many other models, but my splits had different crossover settings depending on the angle and distance between the woofers/tweeters and the drivers head.

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
The speaker wires (+ and -) from the amp/head unit go to crossover, then the crossover has a + and - output for the woofer and a + and - output for the tweeter. So if the crossover is in the cabin, you need to run wires to the woofers in the doors and wires to wherever the tweeters are going. Luckily there is already ONE set of speaker wires already going into the door for the speakers already there.

So there's already a factory crossover in the dash i can just replace it with mine? Or are you referring to what i'll need to do with my current gear going in. Im going to be running it straight from the headunit for the time being

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The standard tweeter has a capacitor on it, as far as I can remember. That works as the crossover for the tweeter and the woofer gets the full range sound. They're just wired in parallel to each other. So you can cut the woofer wires under the dash, near kick panel and connect your crossover to the wires coming from the head unit, then connect the other side of the cut to the woofer terminals on the crossover and run new wires to your tweeter.