Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twin throttle bodies

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
That works on FI engines. where the plenum is pressurized.
Trick with an NA engine is to keep the airspeed up into each runner. Basically make it easier for the engine to get the air. Otherwise intake manifolds would be just a big square box on top of the motor.

Not trying to start anything but is that possibly a reason people think the old buick is more tourquier? As it doesn't have a big plenum to fill?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I know whats involved in designing one. I've been studying it for a couple of months now. (Not saying I know it all, but i've a small understanding of the principles needed)
And from what I understand, I would be increasing the length of the intake runners, and improving the shape of the runner port, to improve the flow from the plenum to the runner.

The plenum displacement only needs to be about 1/3 of the over all engine displacement. Any more then that and its not really going to help anything.

EDIT:
You don't need to "Fill" the plenum.
The torque is probably more down to head design and tune.

I think that the Ecotec v6 has a far better intake manifold design then the Buick.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
There's a difference in the runner length between the S1 VN and the S2 VN - VR buick motors. The S2 is an inch longer
The S2 also got the bellmouth in the intake to help distribute air evenly that apparently took a little of the seat of the pants torque away.
The S1 VN got a slightly lumpier cam and a more aggressive tune

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very basically, longer runners promote torque while short runners promote Horse power.
Short runners are good for FI or high reving motors.

There is too much difference between S1 Buicks and S2 to draw a real comparison with the intake manifolds.
But comparing the manifolds alone I would go with the S2 manifold. The fact they used a plastic insert to rectify a problem with the back two cylinders leaning out says its a fairly poor design to start with.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
I know whats involved in designing one. I've been studying it for a couple of months now. (Not saying I know it all, but i've a small understanding of the principles needed)
And from what I understand, I would be increasing the length of the intake runners, and improving the shape of the runner port, to improve the flow from the plenum to the runner.

The plenum displacement only needs to be about 1/3 of the over all engine displacement. Any more then that and its not really going to help anything.

EDIT:
You don't need to "Fill" the plenum.
The torque is probably more down to head design and tune.

I think that the Ecotec v6 has a far better intake manifold design then the Buick.

The yanks have a banana type intake similar to the LSX intakes that they put on their series 3 motor which im pretty sure is the same as the ecotec. Its been a while since I've had a V6 so I cant really remember the particulars. I wanted one but couldn't find the lower section anywhere for sale.

3800II_L36.JPG

middle_3.JPG

DSC07823.jpg

Wow we've gone off track here lol

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
You can see how long those runners are can't you, in comparison to a VN buick manifold.

Buick and Ecotec manifolds are different and arent interchangeable with one another. The OP has a a Buick motor, so that manifold isn't much use to him.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Yea I know lol
Getting a little off track.

Anyway did the OP end up installing the twin TB setup? Would only take 5 mins and there's no MAF to plump up so no worries there with a little PVC pipe and pods

swiftymcfeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Calais Turbo
I get it on friday or monday... Ill keep you updated