Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tyre wear and VT's

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
I done a wheel alignent today because I put back my 19's on my car.
Four point camber kit wont solve the problem it can definitely help with the tyre wear. On my left hand side the lowest point that I can get the camber down to is 3 degress while the right side is just over 2 degrees, so I adjust the toe to 2.0mm on the left hand side and 1.5mm on the right hand side.

No inside wear and it still drives dead straight im happy

nmldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina Wagon
What happened to the previous set of tyres ? Same thing or has that wear only just started with the new set of tyres ?

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
my last set of tyres i had 17's wore pretty damn good for a VT

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
got mine booked into pedders next week to get a 2 point kit put in to help straighten the rear of it up. wet season coming & bugger all tread left on the inside half of my rears. suggested a 4 point kit aftering reading several posts in here on this subject and was seriously warned against it. the bloke said it was ok if the outer adjustment once set, wasn't tampered with again. told me because he new me from previous work he would do it if i really wanted, but warned of other wheel aligners adjusting it. Said something about shortening the working radius of some part of the suspension and this could damge the diff, reckons 2 point kit will be all i need to adjust the toe to correct this common problem

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
its a tough call tho, I had a 2 point camber kit at first inside ones (closest to the diff) because they adjust more of the toe. I didn't like the camber being high so I got the 4 point camber kit the week later.

Finaly that Shounak is half right about not taking it to other tyre stores for getting a wheel alignment when you have a camber kit. As I work for Beaurepairs myself being a wheel aligner, to change the camber and toe it requires a tool that you have to get from Pedders. As for myself I have done this plenty of times and I know what to do and I worked for Pedders aswell :p

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
just get the 4 point...
like i said above i got it and my low profile pirellis 17" tyres lasted 40,000km with no uneven wear....
i had nitrogen put in them as well and they were checked and maintained every 10,000km with balancing if needed, rotation and 4wheel alignment.
i know owner of bob jane store and he looked after me well with price hence it was there every 6 months having checks done

HoldenMad

Have spanner, can fix!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
We had the same camber/wear problem too on the VT. We were unaware of the problem until the trye wore so bad that the tyre blew out :(
The tyre mob told the Mrs about how its common in VT's and to get the tyres rotated more frequently than normal or buy a camber kit.
Being no stranger to wheel rotations, I opted for this one. I rotate the tyres myself and inspect them before long trips. The Mrs gets alignments done more often too, to help keep us outta trouble. :D