Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres and rims for 2010 SV6 Sedan

Glack

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Holden Commodore Sedan
Hey guys
I am currently on my red P's. I bought myself a silver 2010 Holden Commodore sedan sv6 sidi nearly a month ago now. Im looking to chuck some new rims and tyres on it :)
Here is a link to the rims im currently looking at getting:
20" SILVER SSW ULTIMATE WHEELS AND TYRES FOR HOLDEN COMMODORE - CLEARS BREMBOS! | eBay

I need some advice whether these will be suitable for my car and what tyres I should choose. I have looked around and all the tyres that come with the car seem dodgy and cheap. Any suggestions on good affordable tyres would be sweet!. I hope to post pics of my progress once I finally get them :)

Thanks, mitch

Glack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Correction * Come with the rims, not car*

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Too be perfectly honest any of the name brands are of good quality, everyone has there preferences personally I'm a fan of kuhmo's ku31s and the federal 595sports which is a almost a semi slick so it has poor wet weather grip but it is in the affordable bracket. I've found it's best to go with what you can afford that is of best quality. Hell, if you can afford them go for the potenza's.

Glack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok thank yous both for your advice. Another question i forgot to add before was what size tyre should i be looking for with that type of rim? i am very new to all of this, but want to learn:) thanks

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
crap tyres, federal, khumos as starting point, 245's allround unless you want staggered on rear 245's front, 275's rear

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Ok thank yous both for your advice. Another question i forgot to add before was what size tyre should i be looking for with that type of rim? i am very new to all of this, but want to learn:) thanks

Any wheel you buy for the car which is 20 x 8 inch or 20 x 8.5 inch ................you should fit a 245 35 20 tyre.. (This is what Holden fit if your order their 20 x 8 inch option wheels and it will give you the correct running tyre diameter so your speedo will retain accuracy).
Good tyres in that size are not cheap but there are plenty of tyre dealers offering 20 inch wheel and tyre packages with the worst quality tyres imaginable. You just found one of those. (If you cannot afford to pay for decent 20 inch tyres then you really cannot afford to run 20 inch wheels).

WHEELS
Any 8 or 8.5 inch wheels you order for the car must be the correct PCD and offset.

PCD: 5 x 120 ( if it is not 5x 120 it will not fit )

OFFSET: anything in the range +35 to + 48mm will be ok for an 8 or 8.5 inch rim and you will find most aftermarket wheels for VE fitment will have offsets in the +35 to +45mm range.

WHEEL BORE SIZE: aftermarket wheels come in various standard hub sizes and wheels made which fit the VEs will usually have a bore size that is significantly larger than the hub dimensions on the vehicle. (The factory wheels are bored to the exact correct size for the VE wheel hub). It is essential if you buy aftermarket wheels that you are supplied with the correct size HUB CENTRIC RINGS. These bridge the gap between the the hub and the inside of the bore hole in the wheel and ensures that the wheel will sit flush on the hub on your car - perfectly centred and "hub centric". If you neglect to fit these hub rings or fit rings which are too small you will have vibrations in the wheels at speed (as they will sit off centre ).

I would not rush in and buy wheels if I were you. Have a good look around first. There are much better designs around for commodores than that SSW wheel you are looking at.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
You want those wheels for the looks yeah? Because very few people will need or notice any improved handing over your current 18's. Just remember that ANY tyre on a 20" is likely to cost more than your 18's AND not last as long (often a softer compound). So for a young person ("I'm on my red P's") consider that you will have to pay MORE to replace the tyres AND replace them more often. If you 'use' your tyres or do other silly things like lower the car, hit a kerb and knock the alignment out then prepare to scrub them out in no time. A good replacement set of tyres for these rims may set you back the same price as the rims did in the first place and you 'could' be doing this every 18 month or so.

I'm not saying don't get them, but just saying be prepared... keeping good tyres up to 20's is expensive, and not all young people have that sort of cash lying around. Some time, when you're older you'll want that few extra grand to spend on important things like house deposits, wife/s, or kids. Sorry to be a killjoy, it's just the way it is.

Glack

Reaction score
Members Ride
You want those wheels for the looks yeah? Because very few people will need or notice any improved handing over your current 18's. Just remember that ANY tyre on a 20" is likely to cost more than your 18's AND not last as long (often a softer compound). So for a young person ("I'm on my red P's") consider that you will have to pay MORE to replace the tyres AND replace them more often. If you 'use' your tyres or do other silly things like lower the car, hit a kerb and knock the alignment out then prepare to scrub them out in no time. A good replacement set of tyres for these rims may set you back the same price as the rims did in the first place and you 'could' be doing this every 18 month or so.

I'm not saying don't get them, but just saying be prepared... keeping good tyres up to 20's is expensive, and not all young people have that sort of cash lying around. Some time, when you're older you'll want that few extra grand to spend on important things like house deposits, wife/s, or kids. Sorry to be a killjoy, it's just the way it is.

Thanks for the feedback, will definitely take into consideration :)

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
Another option for you Glack is what i'm considering, i'm looking at having my rims gutter rash repaired and powdercoated, all up less than $500 and it keeps your stock wheels while giving them a different look.

Reason i'm considering this option is that I had 19's on my old car and they were all buckled and tyres were $300 each and I was replacing them every 12 - 18 months (sometimes helped along).