Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ultra lows in VS commodore..

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
because ultra lows arn't that low and are well within the legal limit off the ground.

Their are springs that will take you to the 100mm limit or maybe slightly lower but have to ask for them and have them fitted at your own risk.. like i have :)

I know this, I have "custom" low king springs in the rear of my stato, 2 stages lower than ultra low. Still even with those I've never had police attention. The Calais is still low enough to scrape on every speed bump I drive over, the fronts almost tuck too

racing7

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss
Probably a dumb question but when you guys mention the 100mm measurement is that the actual legal ground clearance required? Also where is it measured or does every part of car have to be 100mm off the ground. Only reason i ask is i have a set of ultra lows in rear of my vr ss with camber kit and running 20" rims and the thing looks way low, it looks sweet but im affraid of attracting attention of first cop i see.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
They go off the lowest point of the car.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Yep that's where I got mine, $580 delivered to my door

Definitely agree with you. It's a must to get a Camber Kit. I just fitted a kit to mine because I've had to buy a set of new tyres every 9 months for the rear. Because of inner tyre wear. Sucks to see good tread but worn inners and you have to get it replaced.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Definitely agree with you. It's a must to get a Camber Kit. I just fitted a kit to mine because I've had to buy a set of new tyres every 9 months for the rear. Because of inner tyre wear. Sucks to see good tread but worn inners and you have to get it replaced.

Sorry I'm using my phone and pressed the wrong quote button.... it was to refer to the guy who talked about getting a camber kit

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
I had ultras in the rear of mine with KYB shortened shocks on 20s, wasn't low enough so put in BMW ones.. got a bit more tuck.

OK had a look.. KBRL-14SL (so must be superlow)
97-02 Roadster E36-7

Need shortened shocks to make them captive.

Click on the link below - it should open a .pdf file.. 1st page at the bottom of the BMW section.
King springs catolog

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Probably a dumb question but when you guys mention the 100mm measurement is that the actual legal ground clearance required? Also where is it measured or does every part of car have to be 100mm off the ground. Only reason i ask is i have a set of ultra lows in rear of my vr ss with camber kit and running 20" rims and the thing looks way low, it looks sweet but im affraid of attracting attention of first cop i see.

If it looks too low then it's probably not legal, don't ya think?

With that being said I've got a set of IRS SSSL King Springs and a pair of Monroe GT sport shortened shocks for sale if anyone's interested, PM me!

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
They go off the lowest point of the car.

Not sure in Aus, but in NZ it is lowest structual point, not the lowest part, Ie bumpers/sideskirts..

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Ok been looking onto this for a long time...check on the net for your local motor reg regulations, the following relates to South Australia (and my interpretation :) ) but I believe its pretty much universal these days so cars are compliant as they drive between states....
the basic info from the S.A site
Code:
Acceptable 'eyebrow heights' (the measurement from the centre of the wheel vertically upward to the edge of the mudguard) 
or 'bump rubber clearance heights' (the clearance between the bump rubber and corresponding contact point) for most passenger 
vehicles can be found on the Passenger Car Track List for 1970 and later vehicles .

Other requirements for lowering a vehicle include:
either front or rear, the suspension travel must not be reduced by more than one third of that specified by the vehicle manufacturer
the vehicle must also retain 100mm ground clearance which is measured between any part of the vehicle and the ground
all measurements must be carried out with the vehicle on level ground in its normal operating but unladen state
coil springs must not be shortened by cutting, and no suspension component is to be subjected to heating
lowering blocks may be used on leaf spring suspensions provided they are manufactured from steel, aluminium, or metal 
and to be positively located to the axle spigot hole and the spring centre bolt. Note: the axle mounting 'U' bolts are not permitted 
to be below the lower rim height.
Now the fun thing is it says the travel cant be dropped by more the 1 third, so if we take the fronts min allowed eyebrow height for a VR of 346mm, 1/2 that give us in theory 1/3 of the travel which is 173mm.
Now if we add the min eyebrow height(346mm) with 173mm we should get what is deemed the full travel of 519mm...lol Ive seen 4wd with less, the only way your getting that figure is if you jack the car up with all the weight of the car...
My stock front eyebrow is 375mm so Im thinking factory fresh its prob 380mm or so.IF we take the stock eyebrow of 380mm with a 1/3 drop comes out assuming my maths is right :) to 254mm,
that should make the wheels nice and tucked under the guard :)
anyway sorry for rambling ;) Im just being cautious with my planed lowering as there has been a lots of VR/VS super low springs and defected cars for to low on gumtree late last year.....

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Funny thing is some 'manufacturer specifications' are low. Mine came with FE2 (lows) so one third is King ultra low. That said, the 100mm clearance would trump it.