Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Umemployed?

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
If anyone seriously needs tips on sourcing employment, feel free to ask me. I am a Manager in the Job Network sector.

I get frustrated at people who say 'I want to work, I will do anything, the dole sucks.' So you start getting them interviews. Then they start getting fussy. "I am not working for less than $18.00 an hour" (from unskilled teenagers) "I don't want to do menial tasks and work my way up." (Again the unskilled sector.)

Fact is we all have to start at the bottom and prove ourselves.

C.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Sashyre said:
If anyone seriously needs tips on sourcing employment, feel free to ask me. I am a Manager in the Job Network sector.

I get frustrated at people who say 'I want to work, I will do anything, the dole sucks.' So you start getting them interviews. Then they start getting fussy. "I am not working for less than $18.00 an hour" (from unskilled teenagers) "I don't want to do menial tasks and work my way up." (Again the unskilled sector.)

Fact is we all have to start at the bottom and prove ourselves.

C.

haha ppl think thay can demand to get payed wot thay want with no skills ? lol no way i dont even expect that high i dont think, i remember my very 1st job i was push a brome around for 2 weeks ill admitt tho i said cya im not pushn no more bromes considern i was gettn blisters, but i was young an damn bak than too 17 an none of my mates work, which i think that is a big problem these days thay dont wonna work if there mates dont? i went thro that stage

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
ProphetVX said:
Congratulations on taking the initiative to get some certification to get employed in the future.

However, I think you'll find your entry level incomes are slightly skewed. Let me first say that I'm a Computer Science graduate with Honours. It took me two months to find a job when I finished my degree, I had a great distinction average sitting on around 80% for a 4 1/2 year course. Entry level wages for a graduate can range anywhere from $30,000 to $40,000. A diploma doesn't properly equip you to do these tasks to the extent of a university graduate and as a result, you may find yourself getting beaten by graduates for the job. University students often know up to 5 or 6 languages albeit limited, TAFE/Colleges offer a far shorter and simpler course.

I can tell you now, the entry level wages offered compared to the ones statistics say in reports are vastly different. With all my accreditation, the best I could get was $41,000, this included real world experience in developing software for a very large networking company and is in very active use by them still.

I've been employed for going on 2 years now, so my pay is substantially higher, however that is not without working 60 hour weeks frequently. If I were you I wouldn't be expecting $50k very quickly, its a slow road with a diploma. However if you put in the hard yards it inevitably pays off.

It was a real shock to the system once I went out and tried to find a job and what I got offered, to what I had read about. I expected nothing less than $53-55k when I went out looking. I'm sitting well above that now though, just don't go out expecting the amount you read about, IT is a very tough industry to get into, I should know, I help upper management in recruiting now. Take whatever you can get, quite often the lower paying jobs have far more room for improvement in salary than those who pay higher starting.

And thats the end of my rant.

Why Thankyou ! :D (watching too much of the Matrix)

The main emphasis of the Diploma I'm undertaking is on learning Java... but we also learn C++, Visual Basic, and Assembler.

May I ask what language are you mainly focused with using now ?

I started off teaching myself VB6 a few years ago and found that was quick and easy to learn the basics of programming. But now since focusing on Java I find the VB language annoying to work with, as I prefer the symbolic representation of Java operators to the English versions in Basic. Not to mention it's easier to find information in the Sun API rather than the MS MSDN.

What language to use prefer to use the most ?

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
Sixshooter: I'm not a programmer but Java is probably a smart way to go because it's platform independent.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Having been in the same job for eighteen years now, I suppose I shouldn't comment much on current ways of doing things, but I have seen my two eldest kids running on the treadmill of job agencies and employment searching.
I always found that the secret is that you don't rely on the job agencies like Centerlink, Sarina Russo, whatever, to find you a job...you have to go and look yourself.
I know that at work, the agency we deal with will advertise a job vacancy at our factory, then they will get the applications, and they will send to us a "final list" of people that they believe are "suitable".
Now, there may be brilliant, talented people just sitting there who may be a great assett to the company...but if some beurocrat at a job agency doesn't like thier application for whatever reason, they won't ever get a chance.

My son and daughter both used the following method: write a complete and accurate resume listi ng your personal strengths and and job you may have had or skills relating to whatever job you are going for...they also listed hobbies, interests, and other skills which may be outside the actual job they are applying for...employers like a flexible person.
They then found a place (or several places) they thought they would like to work, and simply marched in to the office with thier resume and asked to speak to someone in management or the HR department. After a couple of times doing this they got through to someone in charge and ended up with the job.
I should also point out that both these places they work have signs at the front counter saying "we deal through XYZ job agency only and will advertise vacancies through them", but employers like someone with a bit of intitiative and drive who is willing to push to get a job and who show they are a bit enthusiastic about it instead of just phoning or mailing in an application.

Eevn back in the bad old days of the CES, I never found or was offered a job through them, I found any job I ever had myself by footslogging around with resumes.

The basic point is this: if you personally walk into a business with a resume, you are dealing directly with the company, whether you get knocked back or not, at least you have come face to face with them. If you go through a job agency, you deal with the person who opens the resumes, the person who reviews them all, the person who matches them to whatever job is going, and then finally mails what they think is best to a business. You are simply doing away with several levels of middle men.

That list of wisdom which went around the internet a while ago supposedly from Bill Gates (it wasn't, it's been around for years and is an urban legend) is very true. You know, the one wit things like "you won't start out with your own office, company car, and phone", and "you won't start out making $25 an hour, you have to start at the bottom sweeping floors and work your way up", that kind of thing.

And also Sashyre is dead right...Too many people (including one certain deadbeat brother-in-law of mine...) have a specific type of work in mind, and will simply turn thier noses up at anything else, no matter how good a job it is...they have a list of certain things they want...level of pay, conditions, perks, etc. One of his brothers (another of my wifes brothers) works in the construction industry, and offered him six months temporary work on a big project near town...he would have been a simple laborer helping clean up and be a gofur, but it was a solid six months work and the pay was at casual rates, and was something like $25 a frickin' hour, for christs sake! My deadbeat bro-in-law turned his nose up and said "I'm not standing out in the sun chucking bricks around and sweeping up rubbish".

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
:) :) :) :)

Last edited:

Tatiana

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wombat:

What your talking about, going into a business with your resume in hand, is what we call cold canvassing. We tell our client's this is the best way to secure employment, not only for the reason you listed (shows initiative) often there are vacancies however the Manger simply doesn't have the time to advertise the vacancy. You show up all eager and ready to go and your like a Godsend. Offer to show him/her right there and then what you can do by staying for a few hours. Think of yourself as a product and market yourself.

On the subject of labourers, these days the blue collar workers sometimes earn more than a white collar worker, as you pointed out $25 an hour to do menial tasks. People out there might turn their nose up at cleaning offices or waiting tables, but some positions offer penatly rates where you can earn $20 an hour easily.

Stop being picky, pick up that broom, run and do the errands, be a lacky. One day you could be the Manager hiring someone like yourself. Just takes time and dedication.

C.

Last edited:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Sashyre said:
Stop being picky, pick up that broom, run and do the errands, be a lacky. One day you could be the Manager hiring someone like yourself. Just takes time and dedication.
C.

While I agree in belief that beggars can't be choosers... I disagree about starting out at the bottom and rising to the top... that is just a fallacy!

Experience and qualifications will get you there faster than anything else!

I know from working in a factory which only empoyeed Uni grads for Managers rather than off the floor employees who had 20 years or more experience.

In a business starting at the bottom means you have to out-do everyone above you to progress higher up the corporate ladder. When you start as an inductee you most likely will be trained by someone above you to do a job, but that trainer wont train you fully otherwise you will be at the level of competence that the trainer is at and therefore a rival for their job.

Management manipulate the Shopfloor Managers who inturn manipulate the grunts to do the work...It's always been that way...no grunt will ever rise that far to the top. Because there are people above them who want the same thing.

Tatiana

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sixshooter:

Whilst you raise some valid points, I disagree. Lots of Companies out there are prepared to do paid training for their star employees, the one's who shine and are performers. They like to take on raw employees who are not already moulded into another Companies methods and shape them into potential managers. Mine is one such Company, where we have staff doing further education studies paid for by the Company with paid leave for study and exams etc.

I have had employers ask for 'green' people who are not Uni grads and full of themselves.

Yes there are those Managers out there afraid that the new boy/girl is a threat and set out to undermine their chances, but not everywhere.

As for your fallacy - I am a case in point. I have had 2 career starts in my life, and both of them I started at the bottom of the heap and fought my way to the top, studying where needed to earn promotions whilst employed.

C.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Sashyre said:
As for your fallacy - I am a case in point. I have had 2 career starts in my life, and both of them I started at the bottom of the heap and fought my way to the top, studying where needed to earn promotions whilst employed.
C.

Okay... I stand corrected... I guess it pays to know the difference from the outset what type of Management you'll be under from perspective employers. However sometimes that can take time...time that could be spent training rather than being a **** kicker and waiting for an employer to give an opportunity to rise up ! There's no opportunity like the opportunity that you make yourself ! Which I guess is the jist of this thread all along ! :)

But I got to ask... Once you got to the top with the first career path were you disappointed with the view or did you just get bored with the position ?

Last edited: