Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uncomfortable Drivers Seat

PA38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6 Black Edition Sportswagon
Thank-you to all for your replies, it does seem to be an issue for some people, my seats are beginning to feel marginally better only still done 8000kms though, but I think its more of a case of me putting up with it which is a shame because its a beautiful car. DanielSS-V best describes the problem.
Quote: "The main problem was I felt I was sitting ON the side bolstering" I don't have a wide arse so I wonder how other people fit into the seat comfortably, when you wear jeans is the worst the seams of the jeans get pressed into your thighs from the side bolstering. I came from a VZ Wagon and I reckon it had the most comfortable seats of any car I have driven. I also wish Holden had made the seat bases adjustable in the tilt front or back like my VZ rather than giving us electric adjustable lumbar control.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A couple of weeks ago, a work mate and I did a 700km day trip in a company supplied VF1 Evoke.
Both of us (VF virgins and not real young) found the driver’s seat very comfortable, but the passenger seat … aarghhh !!!!
Uncomfortable to the extreme, hard, lack of support under the thighs, too low. Two hours in it was enough to beg for a break so to discover if we were still capable of standing upright.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Figjam has brought a good point to our attention. It is incredible that only some of the high end VF models have height adjustable passenger front seats. Was this the case in the VE, maybe this was part of the cost savings with the VF. Remember the VF was at least $6000 less RRP compared with the VE. Also the VF has a different seat frame using the GM global architecture.

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
I have found my VFII seats to be more comfortable than my VFI! They seem to be more hugging than the old ones. Although, I remember driving an early 2013 Redline when I was contemplating to buy one, and the seats in those used to hold you in like a racecar, until Holden got rid of the large side bolsters after a few months.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
i think the seats generally suck.

The lumbar adjustment does virtually nothing and what it does adjust is too far down, i.e. nowhere near the lumbar of my spine.

The headrest adjustment is also useless for me. It can go forward plenty, but not back enough. It needs to go back just a smidge further.

They do look nice though.
The headrests were another change I noticed on the 2016 VF II SV-6 rental I had. They have more padding added to the front of them and sit closer to your head then my early series 1.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
The main problem was I felt I was sitting ON the side bolstering.

Yes!

On our way back from WA in May, I found myself doing the same thing. I repeatedly adjusted my position so that I was sitting more central.

Yesterday we got back from an Albury/Canberra trip and very early on I found myself sitting on the side bolsters.

My typical driving position is fairly upright and when no oncoming traffic, hands at "20 to 4" position. Most often one handed at the "4" position with arm on drivers door armrest. With oncoming traffic it becomes "10 to 4" if all of that makes sense.

Anyhoo, by trial and error I found that in the one-handed "4" position, by moving steering column closer to the dash it forced right hand to "reach" more therefore rotating trunk a little, which in turn moved arse and left shoulder off the side bolsters.

For me at least, problem fixed.

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
On a side note has anyone ever had a creak noise coming from the front passenger seat?

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
MSE seats are the best and even the passenger seat also has electric adjustments.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
^+1. I love the seats in my VF2 Redline. But my Wife doesn't. Shebrarely drive a it though. So it' the pax seat She thinks you'd uncomfortable on a trip. She loves the seats in the MSE though. I've even heard her telling her friends how nice they are. For those who find they're sitting on the bolsters, I reckon PoD is on the money. Adjusting the seat, steering wheel and sitting position will fix the issue.
PS: Not a hint of a creak from my bases.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
MSE seats are the best and even the passenger seat also has electric adjustments.
The seats in the Magnum are great, comfy, passengers rave about their seat, and I really love the seat heater and electric adjustment.

Just wish they'd used an E3 Maloo seat back and base cushions, then they'd be perfect.