Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Undercover cop driving like a hoon..

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
Police are allowed to speed in emergencies. But in 2008 and 2009, a total of 555 marked and unmarked police vehicles were caught exceeding the speed limit in non-emergencies. Just 228 of these cases resulted in penalty notices, meaning 327 escaped with warnings.

Source: Car News & Reviews | Drive

They didnt necessarily just get a caution. Every police officer who is photo'd speeding in a police car is sent the fine and a "Please explain" letter. If they cant provide a work related reason for the speed then they get fined, and the driver has to pay. The times are looked at and compared with the radio jobs log and things that may be written in the officer notebook close to the time off the offence. For example the officer might have seen a driver on their mobile phone and done a u-turn and was speeding to catch up to them. If there is a notebook entry in their book or they issued an on the spot ticket at that time on that road the fine is cancelled. They never say "Oh, your'e a cop its ok we will let this slide".

sjmcc

Reaction score
Website
www.hawthornweightlifting.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ive read through this whole post and I must say you have put up a great effort of explaining the actions taken by the officer in the OP. I agree with you in that it is sometimes in the best interest of the situation for the police to be as discreet as possible, but then again this does not excuse the attitudes of some police personal. I respect the police, what they do for the community and what they put themselves through when things turn ugly. My question is with the driver training done by police in high powered vehicles why isnt the general public put through a course similar to this? Im on my red P's at the moment and would certainly appreciate any training that would help me in becoming a better/safer driver. With the majority of people seeming to be unable to control a vehicle at these higher speeds would it not be suitable for extra training to teach people how to control any vehicle in certain conditions? Ive been looking at doing defensive driving course and will do one as soon as my funds allow me.

Great point. As has been mentioned countless times before, the key to improving road safety lies with driver education. I, like you, am on my Red P's (move to green in two weeks) and I've never done a defensive/advanced driving course or the like but it is something I'm keen on getting on to. Maybe the money the government receives from speeding fines, anti-hoon fines etc could be used to partially subsidise a mandatory driving course for new drivers. Or make the course sort of like a deposit (long term) whereby you get your payment back for the course if you stay clear of the law and graduate to full license.

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
Ive read through this whole post and I must say you have put up a great effort of explaining the actions taken by the officer in the OP. I agree with you in that it is sometimes in the best interest of the situation for the police to be as discreet as possible, but then again this does not excuse the attitudes of some police personal. I respect the police, what they do for the community and what they put themselves through when things turn ugly. My question is with the driver training done by police in high powered vehicles why isnt the general public put through a course similar to this? Im on my red P's at the moment and would certainly appreciate any training that would help me in becoming a better/safer driver. With the majority of people seeming to be unable to control a vehicle at these higher speeds would it not be suitable for extra training to teach people how to control any vehicle in certain conditions? Ive been looking at doing defensive driving course and will do one as soon as my funds allow me.

P.S let people have their own views before we start getting personal guys and calling people everything under the sun cause they dont agree with your view.

I was not so much defending the police officer in the OP, more raising a possible reason, it is possible that he was just driving like a tool, and if thats the case i dont in anyway condone his behaviour. Part of the police safe driver policy is to provide an example for other road users. Having said this sometimes we cant do this as I have explained.

As for your question about driver training, mate Im 110% for every driver to go through the same driver training, or training of a similar calibre modified for the public. I have said this in many posts. Advanced driver training is currently available to anyone but its costs money, money that in my opinion is well spent, but I also believe that money from speed cameras (if they must be used) should be used to subsidise this driver training so its just a nominal fee that all motorists can afford. If that were the case then I think it should be compulsory to go through this course and be signed off as competent before you get your P's.

Matt

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
As answered by Holden_Man.

Plus, they can get into trouble for driving recklessly and dangerously and also for speeding. If a speed camera gets them whilst they are not attending to a job, then they cop the fine like we all do.

If you see a cop driving like an idiot, do exactly what you would do if it was not a cop. If you would report just any random driving stupid, then report the cop. They are not above the law. They can have consequences happen for multiple complaints.

I don't know many drivers who report people driving stupid on the road, yet when someone see's a cop doing it, they think its one of the 7 deadly sins.

Report the officer if it worries you. But I bet 9 times out of 10 if it wasn't a cop, then you would just continue on and say what a wa#ker.

So my comment of get over it is just that, get over thinking that police are above the law.....because they are not and if the OP was really concerned, then he would have reported him and not come onto a forum seeking advice!

the thing that concerns me is if a copper can drive like a hoon to "entice" someone to race, that very same copper could have an accident, hit a tree/pole, run over some kid etc etc, that cop would be putting other lives in danger too, and no amount of driver training can remove that as a threat, its just a stupid method to use to try to catch a "hoon", so if something like that did happen, what then?

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
the thing that concerns me is if a copper can drive like a hoon to "entice" someone to race, that very same copper could have an accident, hit a tree/pole, run over some kid etc etc, that cop would be putting other lives in danger too, and no amount of driver training can remove that as a threat, its just a stupid method to use to try to catch a "hoon", so if something like that did happen, what then?

It is a possibility yes, but driver training has a massive effect. Unless poles start jumping out in the road. Getting t-boned when someone runs a red light is something that driver training can do nothing for. I agree a kid could jump out, but on a freeway? But a kid could jump out when they are driving normally and below the speed limit.

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
Great point. As has been mentioned countless times before, the key to improving road safety lies with driver education. I, like you, am on my Red P's (move to green in two weeks) and I've never done a defensive/advanced driving course or the like but it is something I'm keen on getting on to. Maybe the money the government receives from speeding fines, anti-hoon fines etc could be used to partially subsidise a mandatory driving course for new drivers. Or make the course sort of like a deposit (long term) whereby you get your payment back for the course if you stay clear of the law and graduate to full license.
dont you ever wonder why the government wont even at least part pay for defensive driving courses for people who are going for their licence? think about it.....

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
It is a possibility yes, but driver training has a massive effect. Getting t-boned when someone runs a red light is something that driver training can do nothing for.

yep....totally agree..............

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
dont you ever wonder why the government wont even at least part pay for defensive driving courses for people who are going for their licence? think about it.....

Yes I do, and it still confuses me. TV adds do nothing, its a waste of money. People would complain less about speed cameras and them being revenue raising if the money was spent more wisely. That way if you get book you have effectively just paid for your advanced driver training LOL

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Caricature%20of%20Judge%20Dread.jpg