Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uniacidz Ride VX SS Monaro Themed

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
With the VZ Berlina roof lining, the wiring is imbedded under the insulation foam and there, however you can take off the whole loom which will do the sunglass holder and rear courtesy lighting with some mods.

Basically in a nutshell, its 3 wires that connects it all for all lamps.

Courtesy Lights
New Lighting Loom from VZ .......... ......... ........... Existing VX Loom
White/green - BCM trace ............. ......... ........... White/green BCM Trace
Black - ground ........................... ......... ........... Black - ground
Orange/black - positive ............... ......... ........... Orange/black - Positive

NOTE : On existing VX Comm loom is a yellow/green. Tape up and place aside, not used.

VZ Sunglass Loom Wiring loom plug
Have to get 6 wires down to 3

Plug in your hand from VZ
Orange/Black Pin1 - ..........................positive - Leave the one on far left of 6 wire plug
Purple Pin2/Black Pin6 - .....................ground - Connect and form one wire as this connects to black ground
White/green Pin5/Orange Black Pin4 - ...cut and join together, wrap up and insulate and place aside
Yellow/green Pin3 - ...........................BCM Trace

Once you get your head round the different colours and such, its ok.

You could theoreically make up a loom and add it into an existing interior lighting as the rear courtesy lights go into the rear trim (you pop out the blanking piece)
Now that i seen it, and know how, would be time consuming to make up (this is always the longest part) but could get one working easily.
And could feed it underneath the existing roof lining, without having to drop it (in the centre is a section on the roof lining that doesnt have insulation foam, feed from one side of car to other.

I was thinking of redoing my entire roof lining wiring, even though confident in my abilities, it wasnt as clean as i liked the wiring so when i have spare time, might make one up as still have partial loom from the half i ripped out.

Wiring below shows kinda what it looks like for the rears. Was off ebay but used it as a control image
The wiring connections are perfect, as with the light and loom, it has different sized connectors so became simple.

NOTE
I just reread this post, has now become confusing. lol

loom1.jpg

wiring.jpg

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Great job with the interior lights and lining Uni, looks clean without the centre dome light. With the courtesy lights , was the wiring and plug already there and are those lights from a calais/ berlina? Wouldnt mind those above the rear doors in mine for some extra illumination or do the trim moulds also need to be changed to accomodate them?Cheers

Trim no, they have a blanking plate that pops out. Mind you the lights are delicate and envision that the trim has to be pulled off to change a globe as the clips look fragile.
You could connect up a set of courtesy lights easily enough using the wiring details above post

They do make the interior better IMHO.
Map lights shine down like Halogen downlights from offices etc and the rears are soft.

Eventually will be adding a LED strip light to rear compartment of the centre console for the rear passengers like my cup holder LED light
And also adding a LED strip under the ashtray section near ciggy lighter.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Thanks Uni, yeah that confused me too. I could do a dodgy and maybe remove the centre light and tap into its wiring and extend it for the 2 courtesy lights, feed wiring over the ceiling lining to the rear positions and then connect up the lights so they are all on the same circuit? That may work and be a whole lot easier..

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
yep, exactly that.

When my conumdrum of the existing loom on the car not working with the new lining loom yet the test plug it did work even on the car rigged up temp, soemtimes its just easier to not think too much and make it simple.
Now even thats confusing me again. lol.

BUT in the end its worth it. Others on the foiums have done it different ways, just be prepared.
Everyone whom has done it never regrets it and it is exactly how they said, its a great mod and so worth it.

And the roof lining also, if you can upgrade it. its a different material, not felt or whatever it was on normally.
Seems to feel more durable.

But wait for the one with the individual map lights. Its so much easier. You simply reach up and push it without fiddling round and trying to turn it on.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Car Insurance.

Quite surprisingly, Coles Car Insurance has been the cheapest for me. (underwritten by Wesfarmers)
Dunno why, dunno how.

Flybuys Discount, with mag wheels shown etc and pay by the month in Sydney and insured to agreed value + 1 accident in 3 years = $959 a year.
Free Roadside assistance, $750 excess, Hire car and Windscreen Options selected.

Current insurance with GIO was $1200 per year + $750 excess + $300 driver excess and agreed value
And their renewal is not so friendly
Now they wanna insure for only $9532 and premium to $1467.77 a year

So bye bye to GIO, hello Coles.

Handy trick, if you have a flybuys card, get the quote and then select on Beat Agreed Price Guarantee or something button, and they can beat ya quote down in price a bit more.

Mind you, im over 30 so hence cheaper quote, but the accident 2years ago damages the prices a bit. Oh hum.

Spark Plug Gap
Changed all gaps on the plugs to 1.05

Used a computer part to tighten the gap.

Even though the LS1 can handle between 0.8 to 1.3, i decided a happy medium for better spark and detonation.
Just awaiting on my spark plug boot protectors, and also have to get some Anti Freeze Lube for the plugs and some Electric Connector Dielectric Grease for the lead to plug connection

And really need to see if I have the correct socket.
Hmm

Sunglass Holder/Map Lights
Still stoked with it, its the beez knees and gets my jizzle da fizzle

Door Strikers
Reseated door striker on passenger side rear and also removed and refitted some felt round the edges of the door frame as a fraction too tight and sister in law had issues getting out on Sunday.
Now its perfect.

Door Check Strap also seemed to have a couple layers of thick dirt so used a stanly knife, water and silicon mix and scraped it off and regreased. Seems much better.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
We insured our cars with Coles as well. Turned out to easily be the cheapest by far.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I just did a quote for my car on coles and it was $100 dearer than Shannons.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This is what i meant.

Its done in steps.
Example below only

My initial quote was for $1207 or similar, then i tried the steps below and got it way cheaper.
If you have flybuys, becomes a fraction cheaper also

Step 1
coles1.jpg

Step 2
coles2.jpg

Step 3
coles3.jpg

Step 4
coles4.jpg

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
that's about what I ended up with, still dearer. I pay under $900 - $850 or something I think, I'll play with it and see if it will beat them!

nah couldn't do it - $924 which is still dearer, I also doubt they would do pay by the month no penalty and choice of repairer. Oh and I was looking at my 02 Clubsport and my agreed value was $18k as well. Maybe it's your area or state that makes it so much dearer. Oh I have no claims as well.

Good work on the courtesy and sunglasses holder, I want to do something like this I just got my roof lining and pillars all done in black and need to update the white bits.

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
that's about what I ended up with, still dearer. I pay under $900 - $850 or something I think, I'll play with it and see if it will beat them!

nah couldn't do it - $924 which is still dearer, I also doubt they would do pay by the month no penalty and choice of repairer. Oh and I was looking at my 02 Clubsport and my agreed value was $18k as well. Maybe it's your area or state that makes it so much dearer. Oh I have no claims as well.

Good work on the courtesy and sunglasses holder, I want to do something like this I just got my roof lining and pillars all done in black and need to update the white bits.

I guess everyones situation is different, Shannons wont touch me lol

And here you go, map lights, black
Genuine Holden Commodore VY VZ Sunglass Holder Black NEW | eBay