Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unique chance for VE SS. Good idea? Advice needed please!

NatesDoneWaitin

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Hey all. Hope you're havin a good one.

Just to preface, I am 23 and it's my dream to have one of these V8 beasts.

My colleague recently gave me first dibs on his black 2006 VE SS that he's selling sometime after Christmas. It's stock, done 270,000km and is in immaculate condition aesthetically with a 2.5' Catback Xforce exhaust though it has a tick (I think it's a lifter) but drives smooth as butter. The previous owner (my colleagues wife) is a lifetime Holden V8 enthusiast so I know it's been in good hands. He's had it the last 12 months and barely drives it (with the tick and all)...

I've been watching CarSales for the last 6 months and every other SS with similar K's (in worse condition aesthetically) is up for at least $12,500... that being said I've only seen one of those cars move. He only wants $8,500 because he was going to trade it in to finance something else and he knows that's roughly what he'd get from a dealership... He's also advised me it'll cost $1.5-2k to get rwc. I keep also seeing SV6's with similar/more k's selling for around that price ($8,500). It's also got a set of black VF SSV Redline rims that are worth roughly $1.8k(?)

I've been saving my ass off for the last 7 months, and I've finally got $12k together. I'll continue to save until I buy it (if I do), but I am stuck wtf to do. I've never seen a L98 VE SS over 300,000km for sale which gives me serious doubts as to the lifespan left on this beast. Can't find anything about L98's lasting too long on these forums either, doesn't seem as reliable as it's other LS siblings.... Would it be worth buying it and rebuilding the engine (which would set me to roughly that $12,500 that similar cars are listed for) or is that a ridiculous/unwarranted idea?

This is a LOT of money for me right now (I'm on like $28k/yr) but there is a good chance next year I will be on a decent wicket (family business starting up soon) so if I bought it and it did completely seize/brick in a little while, I could possibly conserve and eventually turn it into my first sleeper project car and drop a cammed LS into it.. Am I insane? Would it even be worth doing that? If the business didn't come off I could wreck it and still make ~$5k back right? Please help guys, I've driven a VW Polo TDI for the last 5 years and I've always dreamt of having one of these beasts, sick of envying P platers with their clapped out SV6's LOL! I don't want to miss out on this because I literally never do anything financially risky, but I also don't want to **** myself...

Any input whatsoever is appreciated and valued, this is literally keeping me awake at night haha! Sorry if you see this thread as a waste of time also.

Kind regards,

Nate

Attachments

• VE_SS_Video.zip
    1 MB · Views: 242
Last edited:

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Ok, I would probably buy it if the overall car is in great condition, steering, suspension and brakes etc. and it’s a dream car for you.
The motor will obviously need attention but maybe just sort the lifters initially.
Then keep saving before you modify it much because if you start pushing decent power through the box (I assume that it is auto) and diff etc. at that km/age somethings gonna give.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Why will it cost $2k to get rwc?

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If you can save decent amount on low income imagine what you'll save when earning decent coin.

Go big,save up for cleanest car that you actually want & can afford not whatever comes along.

200k range major parts begin to wear out...300k range budget for everything to be on it's last leg $$$$$

Cleaner low mileage well looked after car that costs you more at start probably saves you more in long run...IF it's what you wanted in first place & keep long term.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I've wasted untold amounts of money over the years but the only regrets I've had are for NOT buying cars when I had the chance!

Bear in mind that a young fella with a new toy is likely gonna drive the wheels off it initially, whereas the colleague's missus has barely driven it since she's had it, so if the "tick" is terminal it's probably going to manifest itself a lot sooner under new ownership.

The good news is that it's an L98, so no AFM crap to delete, that's saved you a pile of money already!

Also, if starting a family business, consider making it a "company vehicle", doesn't make much difference as far as the purchase goes, but any maintenance/repairs are tax deductible (which will help the business) and you will save 10% on the cost of repairs etc. by claiming back the GST (which will help you).

Andrew