Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unsure on what Head Unit?

Oh_Your_Blind

Green means 'Earth'!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Executive
Hey guys,
I'm looking on upgrading my stock HU in my VY. I have been shopping and lookin around, and havnt found anything to my liking yet. I have about 350-400 for the unit itself, any cheaper and I can upgrade speakers, so cheaper is a bonus. I need a USB front and/or ipod connection options. What do you guys reccomend or what are you crankin tunes from in your car so I get an idea for brands too.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I have the Kenwood KDC-5043U in the missus' car, very impressed with it.....not the greatest of looks (she wanted something with blue lighting haha). But has USB and you can plug your Ipod straight into it (using just a regular Ipod - USB cable) and control the Ipod from the head-unit etc etc.

Ryda Car Audio - Kenwood KDC-MP5043U Car CD & USB Tuner($219.95)

If you want something a little better, also from Kenwood is this:
Ryda Car Audio - Kenwood KDC-MP6043IP USB Car CD MP3 Tuner ($298.95)

Ive installed a few of these Clarion units, might not look "high tech" but has built in HPF/LPF and also plays Ipod etc.

Ryda Car Audio - Clarion CZ309A Car CD MP3 USB Ipod Player($239.95)

Also fitted one of these the other day, looks really cool...but has most of the needed features and Ipod ofcourse ;)
Ryda Car Audio - JVC KD-R606 Car MP3 CD Ipod Tuner($229.85)

Want more suggestions? Havent got to Alpine or Pioneer yet :p

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I'm running a pioneer 6150bt unit. Has usb port in front for ipod connection and also has bluetooth which is excellent and clear. Soryy i can't quite remember the price but it falls in your range i think.

Oh_Your_Blind

Green means 'Earth'!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Executive
Cheers holden boy, man if you feel like typing, feel free, I just am stuck at a headunit atm! Oh by the way, preouts too!, im running 2 12 inchers, component (or coaxle.. Whatever one isn't splits) and splits.. I havnt gone to buyin amps.. I got a 200w for the splits.. Dunno wetha to get 2 1000w monos, because there 2 seperate subs.. Or a 1000w 4ch? So yea preouts is another must have

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
One amplifier for the subwoofers is typically the easiest way to do it.

Give the exact model numbers if you need us to recomend sufficient power and amplifier arrangements.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
As Joe said go with a single monoblock amplifier for the subs. You'll have to give us model numbers and / or impedances / power handling to better match you with an amp.

Generally, something with 800-1000wrms at your subs impedance is ideal.

For preouts, you'll only need 2 sets (front and rear/subwoofer switchable) which all of those units have, some even have 3 sets (front, rear and sub) so that isnt a problem.

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Another option is the Alpine CDE-102 available at JB Hi Fi for about $293. Decent HU for the price: 2 preouts, Full speed iPod cable included, front USB, front 3.5mm aux, wma/mp3/aac.

Oh_Your_Blind

Green means 'Earth'!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Executive
One amplifier for the subwoofers is typically the easiest way to do it.

Give the exact model numbers if you need us to recomend sufficient power and amplifier arrangements.

As Joe said go with a single monoblock amplifier for the subs. You'll have to give us model numbers and / or impedances / power handling to better match you with an amp.

So you can run 2 subs off a mono? i thought mono ment one, hence one sub?
Well that just saved me money haha!

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Yes, you can run as many subs as you would like as long as you wire them correctly and the amplifier can provide sufficient current.