Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrade from VZ to VF

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The head units are easily upgraded with many options from upgrading existing head unit to OEM style Android units to floating screen types
It's more expensive & nowhere near as easy as replacing a single-DIN or double-DIN unit, and the end-result quality isn't as good; it's all about potentially-flaky CCP-Land add-on units which need special keypresses to activate, or expensive units that replace the whole kit & kaboodle (and you then need to work out what you're missing from the factory unit - like which HUD features you don't get).

It can be done, but you're not replacing the unit with a great-sounding full-featured Pioneer deck for $300.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
I replaced the head unit on the VZ with something nicer, now it has reverse camera, and a nice capacitive touch screen as I hate those crappy cheaper touch screens, but if the one in a VF is decent enough and does the job I wouldn't need to replace it, just curious if it could be done at all with how many of the cars features are tied into it.

I've also seen that the VFs have some kind of 'sound enhancing' hole in the firewall to make the engine sound louder in the car, is this a bit of a gimmick or does it genuinely sound good?

Pazzu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SS Thunder 2017 VF S2 SS
I've also seen that the VFs have some kind of 'sound enhancing' hole in the firewall to make the engine sound louder in the car, is this a bit of a gimmick or does it genuinely sound good?

Yes VF2 gets the mechanical sound enhancer and Bi modal exhaust, which in my opinion as a stock option is really nice. Sure the note isn't as nice as a proper aftermarket system, but it tame when the valves closed and loud when you floor it.

You can delete the sound enhancer, most aftermarket intakes don't support for it.

I did end up going with an OTR and plumbing the sound enhancer back in and picked up a set of 2nd headers for a steal so I put that in and mated it to the factory bimodal. It didn't make much difference to in cabin noise apart from a change in note.

D1STRBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV2R
I went from a VX to the VF Series 2 redline SSV, the difference is insane, fit and finish just worlds apart, the driving experience is so smooth and effortless (that's even after putting coilovers on the SSV). I drove my old one last night to sell it and it felt so sluggish and stiff and just garbage in comparison haha. But i mean 7k vs 50k what do you expect.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I don't think any of the VF’s had a CD player. So there's that:)?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
MY13 VF1 CalaisV came with DVD player (as probably did SSV??)
I think all first series VF’s had the same head-unit & DVD player? It’s hard to find reliable specs … how many people would have even tried a DVD in their car’s player?!

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
I think all first series VF’s had the same head-unit & DVD player? It’s hard to find reliable specs … how many people would have even tried a DVD in their car’s player?!
You could watch a movie on the way to work, another excuse to stop paying attention to the road.

I'm not super interested in physical music media in the car, it's way too much effort.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Are you saying you can watch a DVD on the little reverse camera screen in the VF? LoL the world has gone mad.