Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrade Vf open diff centre

Doug Collingridge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
hey guys, just bought a manual S1 SS Vf Ute that seems to have a truetrac 3.27 open diff installed instead of the 3.7 LSD. Obviously someone’s blown the original and put a cheap diff in to sell the car. Anyone know if I can just buy 3.7 diff gears and a LSD truetrac diff locker and put in the open diff casing? Don’t really want to spend 3k for an original LSD

Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes, the Trutrac replaces the stock centre. Just make sure you buy Motive gears if going aftermarket the rest are rubbish and come out of Korea. Also check the Trutrac, as there are Chinese Trutrac copies that are also junk. Two middle priced Trutracs are Harrop and Eaton anything cheaper will be the Chinese junk copies.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the VE SS didnt come out with 3.7 diff, only the HSV got the 3.7 in the manuals because of the different gearbox ratios, the HSV auto got the 3.27 u prob had 2.92 stock and they have upgraded it to the 3.27 trutrack

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you have manual I would get 3.9s, 3.7s won't be worth the cost. If auto, normally 3.45s are the go. If going 3.45 you might be able to pick up a set of gen gears which are better than the Motive and can be had for $150 - $200 on the SH market.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don’t understand the terminology, isn’t a TruTrac a proper LSD? I mean it’s not a bodgy clutch one like OEM, it’s considerably more sophisticated Torsen-type which is a better design … isn’t it?
Or has TruTrac as a brand-name been downgraded by selling el cheapo replacement non-LSD centres?

Adding to what @07GTS said, this sounds like someone upgraded it rather than did a cheap replacement!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are manufacturers who are jumping on the back of the OEM Trutrac and producing something inferior and people are falling for it because the difference in price, thinking they are getting a better deal.

Doug Collingridge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
I don’t understand the terminology, isn’t a TruTrac a proper LSD? I mean it’s not a bodgy clutch one like OEM, it’s considerably more sophisticated Torsen-type which is a better design … isn’t it?
Or has TruTrac as a brand-name been downgraded by selling el cheapo replacement non-LSD centres?

Adding to what @07GTS said, this sounds like someone upgraded it rather than did a cheap replacement!
The boss at work looked up the part number and said it appears to be a diff from an auto SS. previous owner must of blown the original diff and put a truetrac converted open diff from an auto into it?. Diff has (LSD : N) on it

Last edited:

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Does a (numerically) lower diff-ratio possibly equate better highway fuel economy?