Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
I just saw in Car Audio section, Tasmaniak suggest a bass tube for a VE ute, how about one of these in the back of the wagon, drivers side, near tail light, in front of that netted storage compartment? (no idea how good bass tubes are, but a possible option)

Have a look at both my cars and you'll see how it fits into the space really nicely. I've been told I could've put two 12" ones if spaced out just right but I like the one that makes it look factory.

I had to think about keeping my boot space, just incase if need to use the boot to transport a person or a pram(you know, the usual)

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Where does the factory amp get its input from?

Is it RCA from the HU or just speaker wire?

Also has anyone mounted a HU into the little pocket, coin tray thing below the aircon controls?

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Why do a lot of the write ups and videos show people tapping into the rear speakers when adding a amp and sub, why not tap into the sub wires?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Not all cars have the sub amp. No amp means no loom. On top of that, you often still need to get a remote source as the factory amp does not have a remote input, so you still need to run at least one wire from near the headunit so you may as well do all of them.

In the VF its a decent story as it has an independent sub control and a remote wire. Makes it worth tapping into the sub amp if present.

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Thanks, makes sense

Is there any difference in the sound if taping into rear speakers instead of sub wires?

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
Is there any point in upgrading the stock speakers without amping them?

It gives you a warm fuzzy feeling that you have new stuff in your car :)

Seriously though, if the speakers are matched (ohms and watts) to stock, yes.
If higher ohms and wattage (and Sensitivity), no. (the speakers will sound quieter)

I upgraded speakers (4 ohms, 50watt) about 3 years ago and it may have sounded better but I suspect that was the placebo effect of my buying new stuff for the car. And maybe replacing 5 year old speakers with new speakers.

After reading countless threads on this question (and kicking myself...) I decided to amp them a few weeks ago, now it's better than stock (may much better is based on cost/quality of speakers, amp, LOC etc)

Regarding all the post I read on this topic, most all answered the question of best bang for buck, which was amping the stock speakers over non-amp after market speakers.
Also, sound deadening was often mentioned as great bang for your buck IF you were going for a full system.

I if had my time again (and a car worth throwing money at...it is an omega after all), I'd go half decent speakers for front and rear (ie nothing under $200 a set), decent amp and sound deadening for all 4 doors. then a sub when time / money permitted.

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Does anyone know how to pop out the pins for the front speakers from the wiring harness that connects to the side of the headunit?

I want to run the wires for the front speakers to a LOC then a amp and instead of tapping into the existing wires I would rather replace them so I can return to stock if need be