Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upper radiator pipe blew, engine now missing

Brut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Hey,
The upper radiator pipe on my vt runaround blew (it was old) and now the car sounds and drives like it's missing, is it possible water has gotten into the leads and or coil packs? I will test them when I get the chance but I'm just wondering if anybody could maybe back up my theory or suggest an alternative.
Cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
How hot was it when this happened?
How long did you keep driving from when it blew to when you realised?
Did the temp gauge spike up high, then drop back down and you kept driving?

Checked for fault codes? Click Here

Brut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
I drove it for about an hour on the freeway before I noticed it, it started missing under load (long hills etc) and I automatically thought I've fried a coil or leads, temp gauge didn't even move to be honest. Cheers for the errors link will check in the morning and check back in here. Also the bonnet lining was dripping wet when I stopped to check to it and that makes me think water has gotten into the leads or coils,
Thanks again for the reply,
Cheers

Brut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Alright just an update, car runs perfect when it's cold but as it heats up it begins to drop cylinders and the car begins to shake at idle,(crank unbalance?), no oil in water thank god. Thanks for the replies

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I'd say get the cooling system pressure tested and a leakdown test on all cylinders.
Head gasket as above or worst case it's to late and cracked a head or the block from being cooked.

I wouldn't suggest driving or running it anymore until it's diagnosed, might still be salvageable if it is just a gasket but no point ripping it apart until you know which bank the problem is on to investigate further.

Brut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Ahh damn, so you think the symptoms say head gasket. That's so annoying it's only got 4 months rego then was planning to wreck it anyway. Idk if it's worth doing myself I certainly won't be paying a pro 1200 to do it, any chance it's intake manifold gasket,the temp gauge never rose at all so hopefully the heads are fine, ughh it's been a good car for 10+ years haha and this happens 4 months before it's due to die. Thanks for the replys

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Well if it's just going to be wrecked in a few months.... throw some chemiweld in the radiator and hope for the best.
Can't remember the brand, there's another leak fix product that is a dry metal powder in a roughly 7x3cm white cylinder shaped package which works wonders (Blue and/or red writing on the package iirc).

I wouldn't use either in a good car. As a bandaid and a "hope it works for a bit longer" runabout situation where you aren't relying on it for long haul trips then there isn't much to lose.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
If it was a head gasket or cracked head the problem would be there all the time. It sounds to me like a coil getting hot and breaking down.

Brut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Thanks for the replys,
Alright, rocker cover is warped and strong smell of petrol coming from passenger side of engine and exhaust, lots of coolant loss and petrol in oil. At this point I think it's safe to say the head gasket has blown and the head is most likely warped and or cracked, although I have read a post on here with similar symptoms saying the intake manifold gasket was done. It is strange however that the car runs smooth when it's cold and for the first 30 mins or so it's completely fine also when I say the rocker cover is warped I mean the cover has actually "blown out" in between the nuts and the lip is bent upwards the coolant is not milky however there is a film of something on top (petrol?).