Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urethane bushes

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This has come up a few times, but it takes a few threads to get to the bottom of things some times.
Urethane bushes and strut tops. There are 3 or 4 brands.
Are they all the same or different. They claim all kinds of things but I think most of it is marketing.
So in short, do you think there is any difference between the blue super pro strut tops and red Nolathane ones?
I had great success with Nolathane in a VE with standard springs. I know people complain about Nolathane when used with stiffer lowered springs but that's a different story. I want to put poly tops in a VF wagon :)
https://www.nolathane.com.au/faq.php#:~:text=Each bush is designed using,are now of similar softness.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I vaguely remember someone on here saying that the Super Pro ones were softer than the Nolathane ones IIRC? I’ve only ever used Nolethane ones in the past but not on any of my VEs. I’m an old fart now so I go for the extra compliance that stock rubber bushes provide.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Use rubber ones from Pedders, they work fine.

To answer the question, yes every brand has a different mix of urethane and it will vary.
I've picked up a super pro sales thing with three sticks, all different softness, you bend one and it's soft and they progressively get stiffer, then you can have hybrid with dual compound arrangements.

I have found rubber to be the best.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
personally id rather a solid suspension/chassis feel as the suspension should be doing its job not the joints flexing, but if ur going to do gearbox or engine then think about rubber as the harmonics involved can get bad with too solid mount

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
personally id rather a solid suspension/chassis feel as the suspension should be doing its job not the joints flexing, but if ur going to do gearbox or engine then think about rubber as the harmonics involved can get bad with too solid mount

Not to stray too far off, but bush durometery is a built in aspect of a car's suspension. Yes the shock and spring can go up and down in a linear fashion but with the live pivot point front suspension the shock will move in and out and front to back, the top bush is there to allow for this movement.
Lets go back to a VZ, if the control arm is flat at rest if you get bump the arm will move up drawing the wheel closer to the chassis, this is why you want the arm to sag down a little at ride height so at bump it will straighten up and actually push the wheel away from the chassis.
This movement is what the bushes are to account for.
If you use say a spherical ball/rose joint, it will have the movement but the transmitted noise is horrid.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Go for the SuperPro polylast strut tops, similar feel to OEM, but more durable.
Urethane if you want to improve your steering feel.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not to stray too far off, but bush durometery is a built in aspect of a car's suspension. Yes the shock and spring can go up and down in a linear fashion but with the live pivot point front suspension the shock will move in and out and front to back, the top bush is there to allow for this movement.
Lets go back to a VZ, if the control arm is flat at rest if you get bump the arm will move up drawing the wheel closer to the chassis, this is why you want the arm to sag down a little at ride height so at bump it will straighten up and actually push the wheel away from the chassis.
This movement is what the bushes are to account for.
If you use say a spherical ball/rose joint, it will have the movement but the transmitted noise is horrid.
Yes it is but only in terms of achieving the design intention for that model. So if they were designing a soft and boaty wagon for mum and the kids then they would put cheap soft rubber in it which provide no feel and need replacing in 3 or 4 years. So I don't mind moving away from the way Holden built it.
These are a lot cheaper than the blue ones?
Any real difference?
https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/strut-mount-bushing

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just realised what you meant by box and engine. Yes I would always use rubber for them. No point increasing noise and vibration in the cabin for no reason.

Rubber strut tops had a terrible reputation for falling apart and getting compressed in just a few months only a few years ago. Are they any better now? KYB rubber seem to be available cheap but are they any good?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just realised what you meant by box and engine. Yes I would always use rubber for them. No point increasing noise and vibration in the cabin for no reason.

Rubber strut tops had a terrible reputation for falling apart and getting compressed in just a few months only a few years ago. Are they any better now? KYB rubber seem to be available cheap but are they any good?

The ones I used to install 16 years ago probably can't be bought anymore, car parts are getting worse in quality.
Center bearings are another example, can you find a non chinese one that lasts these days?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

my strut tops are with the pedders coilovers and are rubber seem fine, worst thing for strut tops is if they want to spin with the steering that will kill them quick, aside from those ive only really had the OE top bush in there never had to replace them