Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT: Are Holden doing me sideways with a fish fork?

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
I replaced the wheel hubs myself, using a $200 pair of NOS hubs I purchased from eBay. The job that I was quoted $1,600 for only cost me $200. I purchased 4 slotted rotors with new pads for $350 from a member of these forums and fitted those myself, surely more savings. Then, there was a problem, perhaps caused by the new brakes. Holden ended up charging me $45 for the work to "rectify" the brake knock. So, for the cost of having just the wheel bearings changed I was able to change them myself, and fit new slotted rotors and pads AND still save $1,000. That money was then spent on replacing all the front end suspension bushes and a bent link pin, through a professional mechanic.

So, by doing the wheel bearing and brake work myself my VT now has new front bearings, 4 new rotors with pads and new front end suspension bushes for the cost that I was quoted for just the front wheel bearings.

How is that not beneficial? I'm still find it difficult to justify $1,000 to replace the front suspension bushes, but I'm the one that took it to Holden.

I have my car back now, so I'm happier.

Thanks for all the friendly advice.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So is the knock fixed?

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
yes. the knock is fixed.... and all the front end suspension bushes have been replaced and so has a bent sway bar link pin.

I retract my dissatisfaction with the cost to repair the knock. I do not retract my dissatisfaction with the dodgy nature of how they "explained" the cause of the knock. I paid $1000 for a professionall job that could have been done cheaper elsewhere... but the grass is always greener on the other side, now isn't it?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No matter what you paid, someone will have an experience of getting twice as much done for half the price. If you are happy and satisfied, you paid the right price.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
I guess I have to keep reminding myself that the suspension work now has a 12 month warranty. That's why you pay more for a Holden technician than the regular Joe Bloggs mechanic.

Yeah, that makes me a bit happier about it all. It wasn't a bad experience, just cost a bit more than what I thought it would be. It's all good.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
The knocking has returned..... Why did I pay them any money at all?

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
u paid money for warranyu. BLAST them

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
cant wait to see how this ends up :)

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
This is a bit dodgy to me. I replaced all sway bar link pin bushes in my front driveway for $25.00 - you can buy full sets of nolathanes from super cheap for that. Takes about 2 hours - If you don't take the wheels off. In the process you will h ave the link pins out on the ground. I doubt they are worth $900 a pair.

A bent link pin, or stuffed link pin bushes will cause that clunk - they sway bar can move allowing the link pin to tap the coils.

By the way - make sure the cup washers on your link pin bushes face AWAy from the bushes - some dropkick fitted them the wrong way wround and wore out the bushes in 10,000 k . The cup of the washer faces out - allowing the bush to move very freely.

My opinion is you got done. I paid $1100 dollars and got king springs, Boges Gas sportsryder struts, bushes and heavy duty 38mm sway bar. $1000 for a set of bushes and a link pin is just wrong.