Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT! Grinding sound on cold start up

Mattyclc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 sv6
Only happens when starting first time for the day, nothing on idle, but a grinding sound when moving for the first 20-30 meters, sounds like it's comming from passenger side but I could be wrong?

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
Where does it sound like it's coming from? Have somebody start it while you're looking in the engine bay, or underneath the car.

I had a similar issue with mine, turns out one of the cats (aftermarket high flow) is faulty, the core is loose in the casing, once it's hot it expands and can't be heard, but for the first few minutes of driving is very annoying. If you want to disprove this, when cold, if you thump the cats with your hand you should be able to hear the noise.

Mattyclc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 sv6
Where does it sound like it's coming from? Have somebody start it while you're looking in the engine bay, or underneath the car.

I had a similar issue with mine, turns out one of the cats (aftermarket high flow) is faulty, the core is loose in the casing, once it's hot it expands and can't be heard, but for the first few minutes of driving is very annoying. If you want to disprove this, when cold, if you thump the cats with your hand you should be able to hear the noise.

Will definitely try this! From inside the car it sounds like it's comming from the front passenger side. But I still have stock cats so I'm not to sure

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Does it only happen when the engine is under load, or when coasting?
Might narrow down a few things

Mattyclc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 sv6
Does it only happen when the engine is under load, or when coasting?
Might narrow down a few things

To be honest ive never tried just rolling in drive to Listen, but it still happens on the lighest of take offs

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Also you could try side shifting the weight of the car by swerving left and right to see if it's a slightly worn bearing that only grinds till it heats up, probably isn't but I'm just as lost as you mate so I'd try everything. The cat converter sounds like the most plausible even if they are stock, sorry I can't help more.