Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent help!

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
I’m not too sure how to do all of this hey I’m still new to this
Start with the easy checks. Is it a Getrag (hydraulic clutch) or T5 (cable clutch)? Easy to tell. If there’s a little fluid reservoir right next to the brake fluid reservoir you’ve got a getrag.

Attachments

• 67AF1226-39E0-46CD-AA13-1DCB85102948.jpeg
    67AF1226-39E0-46CD-AA13-1DCB85102948.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 76

Walshy3551

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Executive sedan 3.8 ecotec
Start with the easy checks. Is it a Getrag (hydraulic clutch) or T5 (cable clutch)? Easy to tell. If there’s a little fluid reservoir right next to the brake fluid reservoir you’ve got a getrag.

Attachments

• 51D066BD-2167-4A7D-8DED-8A5E143CCFDE.jpeg
    51D066BD-2167-4A7D-8DED-8A5E143CCFDE.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 95

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s a T5, cable operated.

Has the engine stalled since you’ve had it, or did it just start happening out of the blue? If your Speedo is working then the sensor will be connected and working. If so, and assuming it’s been doing this since you’ve owned it, it could be that the previous owner hasn’t changed the ECU. That’s actually not too expensive or difficult to sort out. Give us some more details when things started to appear and we’ll be able to get you sorted fairly quickly I reckon.

Walshy3551

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s a T5, cable operated.

Has the engine stalled since you’ve had it, or did it just start happening out of the blue? If your Speedo is working then the sensor will be connected and working. If so, and assuming it’s been doing this since you’ve owned it, it could be that the previous owner hasn’t changed the ECU. That’s actually not too expensive or difficult to sort out. Give us some more details when things started to appear and we’ll be able to get you sorted fairly quickly I reckon.
Yeah it’s been doing it since I bought it, I changed the ecu already, previous ecu was a 3.8L manual one and I changed it to a another manual one but both had the same outcome, the Speedo works

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
T5 speedo input uses a different pin on the PCM than the auto. If an auto loom has been used for the conversion than the speedo input may not have been changed at the PCM end.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
He may have kept the automatic wiring loom and not connected the speedo cable in properly. There are a few threads here that step out the correct way to do it. I’ll have a look for one. Someone else might be able to chime in too.

Walshy3551

Reaction score
Members Ride
He may have kept the automatic wiring loom and not connected the speedo cable in properly. There are a few threads here that step out the correct way to do it. I’ll have a look for one. Someone else might be able to chime in too.
Okay thank you so much

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay thank you so much
OK, so if he’s kept the auto trans loom the fix is relatively easy (if you’re confident doing some auto elec work). The T5 speed sensor has three wires, power, earth and the one that has to signal the ECU.

I’m sensing you’re probably not at ease doing this so I suggest taking it to an auto elec and explaining that the manual trans speed sensor needs to be connected to the ECU. There’s a violet and white wire running from the speed sensor to the dash cluster that needs to be spliced into and a new wire run into ECU terminal D2. The best point the splice this wire will be behind the glovebox. (VW in the attached wiring diagram stands for Violet/White). M/T stands for manual transmission.

Attachments

• B03BA6DA-4082-46B4-BC12-42D05CD0547C.jpeg
    B03BA6DA-4082-46B4-BC12-42D05CD0547C.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 76

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If the dash is working but the PCM isn't seeing the speed sensor and they have used an auto loom you should try re-pinning the PCM plug. Just move the auto VSS pin to the manual VSS pin location. If it is a proper manual PCM than it should work (assuming they have wired the VSS at the trans using the original auto VSS signal wire and hooked up the power supply and ground).