Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using different grades of fuel

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Just on this fuels thing I've noticed the last couple of weeks that the car is a bit sulfurish smelling on the Mobil 92ron. I usually alternate between the 92 and 98. Car runs rougher on the 92 but I like the sound of it down low on the 92 and tend to flog it less as I keep it lower in the rev range. Much smoother on the 98but I give it a harder time 'cos it accelerates quicker...it's a viscious circle. Getting back to my prob was wondering if the smell is more likely to be a fuel issue or a catalytic converter issue? Or a tune issue?

I thought smelling sulphur was the result of a dead demon - at least that's what Constantine said!

Try running a couple tanks of Ultimate through her and see if the smell goes - Shouldn't be a tune issue, but could be a cat issue. Also check for oil leaks.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Grey or white was what u got with leaded fuel. Just dark coloured crap with unleaded I think.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Tis rather old ey mike haha

I use shell v power because that's on my way to work. I notice it tends to jump around when slowing down in second til stopping. Wondering if it could be te fuel? I had it tuned with a tank of Bp ultimate in it so I'm wondering....

Shell has been known for pretty grubby fuel over the last few years. Run some Ultimate through it and it should clear up.

T

tommySV6Ute

Tunes are all electronic on these. White exhaust gas could just have been a cold engine/condensation in the exhaust.

Wasn't the exhaust gas itself TS, just the inner surfaces of the tailpipes I noticed very white as if a really lean tune up old school.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I do a couple of long trips (Darwin to Melbourne & back) each year. I've never seen the point paying more than I have to for fuel, so I go for 91. I am suspicious of the unfamiliar, so I have not used E10 when there is an alternative. However, on my most recent trip (Dec 2010~Jan 2011), there are plenty of servos that offer E10, but no 91. I checked the owner's manual, and it says E10 is OK ... then I noticed the sticker inside the petrol tank flap. On this trip, I kept the the cruise control on 117 (except in Victoria), and I must say that the economy was fine, and performance was fine too. Even so, if I have a choice, I still prefer 91 to E10.
Regarding the BP-Shell-United-etc debate: Often, when I make a fuel stop, there's not a lot of choice, so I take whatever is the cheapest of whatever is open. I can't say that I have suffered any adverse effects from this.

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
iv only ever used BP Ultimate so cant comment on the lower grade fuels, but i do know i wont be changin thats for sure.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
i use caltex vortex (98) because i get a discount through work, seems fine to me..everything performs as expected and no throttle delay. personally never used bp, i just think they are high priced