Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

using v6 turbo rods

cracker

Reaction score
im planning on using these too.
i imported a set of turbo two dot rods, beam polished and arp bolts, they are fitted to after market cast fedural mongural pistons they dont have a full skirt around the bottom like the standard buick turbo pistons do there fore the clear the counter weights of the crank shaft.
they do weight quite alot more then standard pistons and rods therefore you need to add weight to the crank, which i was going to do but it was suggested that i run an ecotec balancer as they are heavier and had weights added to an ecotec flex plate which is heavier again to make up the difference, the metal thats used on the cranks to make up the wieght costs way too much and theres no difference.
the blocks also been bored 40thou as the bores were already out of spec which im guessing yours would be too, unless its done very few km mine had around 170 000km on it when i stripped it down
pistons rods and rings cost me $300 too more door. planning on running around 15-20psi of boost and hopefully around 300rwkw
also your correct the pic size is too big to use with our pistons
so far its cost me $1100 - pistons/rods and machine work bearings etc but iv yet to buy gaskets

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i just got a quote for balancing my engine.. it would cost about 900 by the time the do everything. 600 just for adding the mallory.
so i am in two minds now.. i don't know if i should just buy new rings and bearings and a gasket kit and just chuck the motor back together. would cost me under $400 and it would at least be going then.
cracker. can ya tell me more about externaly balancing the motor. the engine would still have to goto an engine shop and be balanced wouldn't it??? and have you got any idea of price.. s1 so would an ecotech balancer fit on. and i can't use any other flywheel other than a series 1..

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
ecotec balancer would fit youll need to run ecotec cas though to match you should be right using flywheel as there quite heavy anyway as for the external balancing it could be possible i suppose dont know how well it would work though

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i thought the idea of adding mallory to the crank would be so the motor is balanced???

cracker

Reaction score
because the pistons and conrods weight more the you need to add wieght to the counter weights, but insteed iv had weight added to my flex plate and some taken off the balancer i think not quite sure but they said its way cheaper becayse malloy metal is so expensive
mine costs me $800 for balancing, new big ends, mains and cam bearings, bore and hone 40thou, remove broken bolt from crank, polish crank.
if you throw it together thats a **** idea really.
mic up your bores see if they are in spec if not get over size pistons and get it bored and honed, do it once do it right other wise ull be left with alot of broken metal and oil.
iv done the minum amount of work imo, but enough for it to work and last and be safe, im not aiming for anything more then 5500rpm or anything crazy just want to be able to force 15-20psi into the v6 and not have to worry, as it seems they can do it stock so mine should be laughing.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
thats a heap of coin for externaly balancing it..
the bloke who gave me the quote said they charge 318.50 for a balance job on a v6. then he said it usually costs a bit over 600 to internaly balance an externaly balanced v8 (i know either 318's or 360's are externaly balanced. that why ya can't swap the balancer and torque converter). so he said it could be cheaper for a v6..
the biggest cost involved is the work. ya have to set the crank up and work out how much mallory needs to be added. then set it up in the milling machine and milled out some of the crank. the you have to put the mallory in. then set it up again and balance it and hope ya don't have to take it back to the milling machine to add more..
i don't know what i will do... might just save some cash for a few weeks or months and stop spending on ebay. then see how much money i have

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i spoke to a bloke today. he is in mount gambier. i have heard good things about him.. he has a place outside of town. he said 318.50 sounds a bit much to for a basic balance on a v6 and said he may be able to do the hole lot including adding mallory for a bit over 300. he said he would like the rods. crank, bearing, pistons, rings, balancer and flywheel. and said he might just be able to externaly balance it. but even still if he has to add mallory it wouldn't cost too much.. this fella pretty much does anything to an engine. and has all the stuff to do it.. and has an engine dino aswell as a car dino.. i am going to take my pulsar there for a dino tune..
but anyways i might give this fella a go. can only see how things go..

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
thats the go mate internals the best way sounds cheap enough too.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
i spoke to a bloke today. he is in mount gambier. i have heard good things about him.. he has a place outside of town. he said 318.50 sounds a bit much to for a basic balance on a v6 and said he may be able to do the hole lot including adding mallory for a bit over 300. he said he would like the rods. crank, bearing, pistons, rings, balancer and flywheel. and said he might just be able to externaly balance it. but even still if he has to add mallory it wouldn't cost too much.. this fella pretty much does anything to an engine. and has all the stuff to do it.. and has an engine dino aswell as a car dino.. i am going to take my pulsar there for a dino tune..
but anyways i might give this fella a go. can only see how things go..

That would be the guy that used to build the Formula Holden V6's no doubt he knows his way around the V6 :)