Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using VR-VS Sedan Electric Window Switches for Ute??

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hi guys,

Quick question, I won't make it very long.

Own a VR ute that was factory fitted with manual windows. Fitted 'factory' electric windows. I have installed a Calais console because I like the look of it.
Windows work perfect with 'Rear' sedan switches but they look terrible in the Calais console. My question is:

Is it possible to use Sedan/Wagon switches in the Calais console if there are only 2 windows? The rear part of the switches obviously wouldn't be wired (they'd be dummies) but at least it would fill the gaps I have in the console at the moment. Thanks.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Yes it is possible, but the dummy set may look out of place, only due to U only having 2 windows, not 4

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
As long as I know that it can be wired up safely I'd be quite happy to use them. Prefer to fill up the holes with the sedan switches then modify the centre console to suit 2 single switches. I might have to check past threads that have wiring diagrams! Thanks.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
My old vp vacationer had just front power windows and used single door switches just for the front and I converted them to the full switches when i put back windows in so it wont be a drama to do as its done factory This is for a vp but the ends that plug into the switches are the same...all you need is the short loom that goes from the the 6 and 8 pin plugs that come from the front of the console to the switches should be plug and play.

Last edited:

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Thanks Markovr. However as silly as it may sound I want to use the sedan switches. With just wiring the front part of the switches and not the rear. $_35.JPG I am using this console in a ute. So if you can imagine the 2 single (rear switches) sitting in here.. There are two gaps! Thats why i want to install the sedan switches and just wire up the front part of the switches.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I have done exactly what you are asking.
I just pulled it all from a VR Statesman, sedan switches, everything. Plugged it in, Looks and Works fine, better then if I had just 2.

They are separate plugs for each window so only plug in what you need.

If you want, I have a spare set or 2 of sedan switches I can send you. Think I might have the wiring loom for them too.

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
So you have the following setup also in a Ute? [This is my old Calais and want it to work like this in the ute] =)

I actually have a loom which runs through the console.. Just need to find some switches.. '

Is this how yours work? With front working and others just not wired to fill in the gaps? Cheers!

IMG_5420.PNG

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
yep mate, exactly like that.

I have the rear switches hooked up to the main switch wiring, but they just aren't plugged in at the end of the loom that sits under the dash if that makes sense.

Here's a pic from my thread. (excuse the seats)

Last edited:

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Yes thats exactly what I want! Perfect I will plug in that loom when I get a chance and give it a try. Thanks mate.. I just love the leather around the console and didnt want to use an executive one! Cheers =]

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Forgot to ask if you had fitted a Level 3 digital cluster in the ute too? !!!