Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using VR-VS Sedan Electric Window Switches for Ute??

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Yep, it is Full statesman spec, Statesman Dash, door trims, Level 3 Cluster, Variable wipers, Statesman Variable power steering rack, cruise control, BCM, etc.

I took every loom and plug off and installed it into the ute. Going for a front end conversion too soon.

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Thats awesome.. How difficult was it to get the digital cluster working? any modifications? I've read about it a little, in order to get the trip to work something needs be done.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
The level 3 cluster fitted in easy, all gauges worked just the LCD screens wouldn't until I used the Statesman wiring loom and BCM.

I can't tell you for sure what you need to replace as I just swapped the entire Body loom and BCM out for the statesman one. But once it was in it all worked seemlessly.
To do it like this is a little mucking around but it isn't exactly hard, (Note that I replaced the original dash with the statesman one so it was easier to replace the body loom with it out)
Hardest part was getting the engine bay fuse box through the firewall but you just label it all and take it apart then it goes through easy enough with a little persuasion.

Personally I think this is the better way as you don't have to use patch cables and if you want to upgrade other parts in the future all the wiring is already there.
Also as far as I know the utes came out with a very basic body loom so might be more mucking around then it's worth if you stick with the original.

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Thanks for your reply mate.. I fitted the power windows and that was a pain, i can just imagine putting a whole new body loom in! I think i may just leave it for the time being. But if i do decide to change the cluster ill have a read of some threads Cheers

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
All good. For what it's worth I thought the power windows was actually more work, It took me about 6 hours to do them.
Body loom took about the same time to strip from 2 cars and re-install.

You also just use your original ute rear body loom as it plugs straight in and you only have to change the front part (Engine bay and dash effectively)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Just wondered how you got the wiring of windows working without striping the wires out of the calais loom or was it already installed in your old loom. On my vr I used a vp power window loom and module which is separate on this model and doesnt use a bcm so apart from the power theres not too much modifying of the old loom.
Also with the L3 dash install which I have done many the drama is the short dash loom that runs behind the dashpad. All cars with l3 dashs had climate control and high level bcm and of course if you dont want to swap out your air con /heater box and bcm means if you swap ouit the dash loom a few things that worked before wont work...interior light air con so the only solution is to take out the l3 wiring from the donor cars dash wiring loom and install it into your cars original dash loom.

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
My ute is a 1993 S VR Ute fitted with the absolute basics. No GM central locking (unless someone removed it and fitted aftermarket I'm not sure as there was not genuine wiring through the doors) My brother wrecked a 1992 VP Berlina wagon, I used the regulators, door lock mechanisms with GM central locking, plugged in a console loom for the switches and had an auto elec basically plug in 2 relays into the under dash loom. (i was surprised this part of the loom was there) the power window module that was in the VP was not required in my ute. I had a FOB programmed to my BCM and now i use factory fitted central locking with genuine key =] also the windows work for 30 seconds after car is turned off and i get the auto down function on the drivers window.. If i decide to install the level 3 cluster id might as well grab that loom from my brothers wagon!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
My ute is a 1993 S VR Ute fitted with the absolute basics. No GM central locking (unless someone removed it and fitted aftermarket I'm not sure as there was not genuine wiring through the doors) My brother wrecked a 1992 VP Berlina wagon,.. If i decide to install the level 3 cluster id might as well grab that loom from my brothers wagon!
Sad to say although they look the same, the wiring from vp to vr is different.....dont try to plug any vr /vs dash into any vn/p or visa versa as they arent the same and a short will be created and it will destroy dash or wiring or both....the actual buttons to select functions have different plugs also...just something to be aware of.

judge69gto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Thanks for the awareness as i wouldnt have known. Seems like a little bit of mucking around just to use a 'digital' dash! unless i did what you did its ok but i cant be bothered now that i have everything in place! cheers