Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ute Rear End Suspension & Diff......

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Question for you VS Warriors!

After getting my new springs installed I noticed that some of the rear trailing arm bushings were bad so I decided to replace them all. It took only 45 minutes to install all of the bushings EXCEPT for the bushings pressed in the rear Diff. Those took a 2 hours along of struggles with threaded rods & cups from the bearing press. what a PIA!

When I checked the fluid in my rear diff (It's Positraction) there was a LOT of pressure (like unscrewing an A/C line) being released. Fluid was full and clean. The car had sat for hours before I removed it. I took the little cap on top of the diff off and it had a rubber seal with a spring inside of it which I assume is some sort of vent. I cleaned it and reinstalled. What the hell is that??? Where is the Pressure from !?!?!? WTH!?!?

I've done a TON of work to this POS and now I'm down the rabbit hole to make it reliable. I had to R&R the entire dashboard just to replace the evaporator last night.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There shouldn't be pressure inside the diff. The breather must have been blocked.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Bottom bolts are drain...rubber seal is filler hole.

There is a breather or relief cap on housing tubes iirc...old as hell cars just a drill like hole in them once blocked by dirt debris etc then issues will eventually caused by cavitation etc

4wd mobs do diff breathers & I think even kits for 9 inch conversions

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Bottom bolts are drain...rubber seal is filler hole.

There is a breather or relief cap on housing tubes iirc...old as hell cars just a drill like hole in them once blocked by dirt debris etc then issues will eventually caused by cavitation etc

4wd mobs do diff breathers & I think even kits for 9 inch conversions
Thanks for that! I did not know that there were 4WD VS Utes! Very cool! I cleaned the hole and the little spring inside the vent cap. Hopefully that will fix it up. I might go ahead and pop out the bolts and clean up the internals. Cheers!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thanks for that! I did not know that there were 4WD VS Utes! Very cool! I cleaned the hole and the little spring inside the vent cap. Hopefully that will fix it up. I might go ahead and pop out the bolts and clean up the internals. Cheers!
No no. Just use a longer diff breather. You buy the kit from 4WD shops but they fit up the same to your car. Replace the breather port on top with what the kit has, install the hose/tube and route it to somewhere much higher. Then install the filter on the end. They look just like the things used in fish tanks to make the air bubble. Air stone? Anyway it will be a better set up.