Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Conversion

hkhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E, VT S 5.7L
Hi guys, got a friend who wants to put a VR V6 motor and box into a VB sedan. Hes got the motor and box and the wiring harness, etc. Is there a coversion kit for these, who would be the best to get it through if there is one. Does anybody in sydney do them. Also is it possible to still use the power steering pump from this motor, and is there any mods that need to be done to the original rack, can the air conditioner be used or hooked up to the original VB equipment or is it to much of a hassle. He wants to do a bit of the work himself, mainly the mechanical side of things. Hes right for exhaust and tailshaft, but would like some advice or a recommendation for the electrical side of things. He has a 10 bolt diff going in it, would it be better to go for a one piece tailshaft or stick with a two piece tailshaft. The car is going to be a daily driver, with a little bit of an upgrade to the motor and box. If anybody has any help or recommendations it would be greatly appreciated and sorry for so many questions,:) cheers TJ

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
hey dude...

My only recomendation would be that instead of putting in a VR engine, you may be best to put in a VP engine as it does not require adding wiring ect. for a BCM. You will need to swap the battery to the other side, and in terms of the A/C, is it already an 134a system, or is it still r12? if it is the old version, you should replace it with a new system as just swapping to the other side of the engine would really just be a waste of time. power steering system should also be all ok. And of course, minor mods to the mounting points will need to be made...

Umm thats all I can help with.... Good Luck and have fun!!!

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
hkhoon said:
Hi guys, got a friend who wants to put a VR V6 motor and box into a VB sedan. Hes got the motor and box and the wiring harness, etc. Is there a coversion kit for these, who would be the best to get it through if there is one. Does anybody in sydney do them. Also is it possible to still use the power steering pump from this motor, and is there any mods that need to be done to the original rack, can the air conditioner be used or hooked up to the original VB equipment or is it to much of a hassle. He wants to do a bit of the work himself, mainly the mechanical side of things. Hes right for exhaust and tailshaft, but would like some advice or a recommendation for the electrical side of things. He has a 10 bolt diff going in it, would it be better to go for a one piece tailshaft or stick with a two piece tailshaft. The car is going to be a daily driver, with a little bit of an upgrade to the motor and box. If anybody has any help or recommendations it would be greatly appreciated and sorry for so many questions,:) cheers TJ
It would be easier if you are really set on doing the conversion, to use the crossmember from the V6 which would save on fabrication of mounts etc. I worked at Kirby's when we were developing the powersteering for the VL and subsequent Holden Commodores and this is what we did when we used a current model Commodore to develop a steering for a future model.
You can please yourself about the powersteering but you will need to get hoses made to fit the change of length etc. Parts for the old VK steering are getting like rocking horse s**t and you could change this to the later gear but you will also need to change the intermediate shaft and coupling as the later input shaft is shorter.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
hkhoon said:
These V6 conversions are alot more simple than people make out. I really dont know why people make it hard for themselves.
The V6 from a VR will bolt directly into a VK using the normal VR engine mounts, without having to fabricate engine mounts or any other crap. The only differences I have seen with the cross member measurements is the locating of the mounts for the powersteering rack, if you want to use a later rack, change your crossmember.

As for power steering, easy use the VR power steering lines just change the nut over on the high pressure line to a VK nut.

Aircon, your aircon guy will need to make up some lines, if you relocate your receiver dryer you may need to modify the aluminium lines.

Battery, personally given what I know now I would have put mine in the boot first off with my 5L, but you could do what I did and graft in a VR/VS subframe skirt to mount the battery in. If you do just watch your wheel clearances.

Manual gearbox bolts up no problems, if you use an auto you will need to massage your transmission tunnel a little.

BCM, you can buy change over chips for the PCM that removes the BCM functions from the memcal, else you can edit it out yourself if you have a burner etc... Just a tip when I helped a friend wire his VS V6 up we took a break for a couple of hours and accidently left the ignition on, I turned the key and it started and ran with an unmodified memcal, I was able to reproduce the result so I think the "security" part of the BCM etc is only a time delay switch.

cheers
Scott

hkhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E, VT S 5.7L
Thanks for the help and info. guys really appreciate it, thanks TJ

V

vhgm8

if he wants a vp 5spd in his vb i got close to a complete bolt in conversion (gearbox crossmember missing) loom converted including exhaust (cat missing) got radiator thermo fan for sale all he would need to do is run an extra fule line (return fuel line) put in a vk vl fuel tank in run an external fuel pump shoten his tail shaft (got the yolk) add a cat to my custom exhaust and purchase a gear box cross member conversion cost me about $3000 selling $1750 contact me on 0421974383