Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v6 ecotec to ls1 worth it??????

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
If u dont want to risk destroying your current v6 rear end then yes, it would be wise to change the diff. U can change the flange on any of the m76/m80 diffs to suit either the 3 or 4 bolt tailshaft. The tailshaft will need to suit both the gearbox, AND the diff u r going to run. If ur current vu2 has a 3 bolt tailshaft, and the donor car has a 3 bolt diff + tailshaft, then your laughing. According to wot jxw has said, the v6 and v8 "3 bolt" vx(vu)-vz shafts r the same (getrag being the exception) so ur donor engine+box could possibly bolt up to your current v6 ute tailshaft. And if the donor has a 3 bolt lsd then your laughing even harder. Throw that in and shes apples!

VT_FREAK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2 1999
the donor car might be a 02 Vx ss 120,000km can i use the diff of this or is it different being a sedan?

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Since theyre both 02 then theyll be series2, and they should both have the 3 bolt setups. The diff itself will be a direct swap, all the mounts are the same between ute/wagon/sedan v6/v8.

vxrated

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
Hi. Did you end up doing the swap. If so was it worth it? Contemplating the same. Cheers

Hothouse92

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy spac hothouse green - Vx ss series 2 6sp manual
So does anyone know of any threads that have a ruff instructions or a step by step maybe for a conversion, or atleast on looms and ecu”s cheers

Michael Zimmerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt commodore
Keep me informed I’m doing the same with my 1998 vt as 6 gave up the goose I’ve just had it painted and spent quite a bit on it so I’m going ls1 for transplant look forward to it will be learning curb but will get there any info of things that become issues for u would be appreciated as I’ll do the same as ss holdens sell for a lot in New Zealand