Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Exhaust - Post here

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hey guys,
Just a quicky, I picked up a VZ SS twin cat back exhaust, EBAY!! $20... with a two hour drive either way, not too bad eyy! I think 2-1/4, or 2-1/2 (havent got the vernier calipers out yet) and was wondering what is the best way to go about the cats?? I only have one on my VY, although it is a serII?? thought I should have two??

Should I just grab another V6 serI or II cat, and put one on each side?? kinda like high flow cats.. instead of 6 cylinders worth of exhaust going through, itl only be 3?? does that work? but I think the pipe would be slightly smaller diameter, would it matter? much.. or should I get the V8 cats - same diameter pipe? or upsize the pipe and open up - cut the bottle neck off the V6 ones??

OBR1EN - Im just going to go to the local wreckers.. with a cold chisel and a lump hammer - to see if i can cut one off a wreck, then weld it on the floor pan on the drivers side.. or an exhaust shop should be able to do something with it..

OBR1EN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Hey guys,
Just a quicky, I picked up a VZ SS twin cat back exhaust, EBAY!! $20... with a two hour drive either way, not too bad eyy! I think 2-1/4, or 2-1/2 (havent got the vernier calipers out yet) and was wondering what is the best way to go about the cats?? I only have one on my VY, although it is a serII?? thought I should have two??

Should I just grab another V6 serI or II cat, and put one on each side?? kinda like high flow cats.. instead of 6 cylinders worth of exhaust going through, itl only be 3?? does that work? but I think the pipe would be slightly smaller diameter, would it matter? much.. or should I get the V8 cats - same diameter pipe? or upsize the pipe and open up - cut the bottle neck off the V6 ones??

OBR1EN - Im just going to go to the local wreckers.. with a cold chisel and a lump hammer - to see if i can cut one off a wreck, then weld it on the floor pan on the drivers side.. or an exhaust shop should be able to do something with it..

Ok have you been yet mate? How did you go? I will try an exhaust place.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah, I havent been yet, but will go in the next few days, they said they wanted $20 if I can get it off? bit bloody rude aye, im like yeah $20 but you get it off lol
Let us know what they exhaust shop rekon, it might be an easier solution to our problem, and how much..

Cheers bud..

white vyII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
I planning on doing this set up on my vy (the ss exhaust) my vy has the twin cats but the flanges dont meet up with a standard ss exhaust, will have to mod it or something. Tell me how it sounds when you get it on.

Also has anyone fitted a twin 2" to there ute/car this was another option i was looking at
Cheers

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey OBR1EN, and White vyII

Well I got it on there, like 3 or 4 days ago,

I rang around the exhaust shops and didn't really get a straight answer from them, about the hangers.. But I just cut the old hanger off my old exhaust and bent that a little bit to suit the one that is already on the car - with a vice and big ass hammer lol.. It mounts on to the front of the IRS main frame (dont know the name of it??) just like the original (passenger side) one but opposite (drivers side)

I also bought a heat shield from holden $26 trade, I think around $35 retail, its off an SS, on the drivers side floor pan, 3 tex scews later beyooodiful!!

And with the cats, i got twin V8 cats.. off a HSV exhaust from the wreckers $80 each, score! and just used my original pipe from the manifold, ATM ive just got the factory headers, (one day will get extractors) My cat I had on it was the '' Y '' piece type single cat setup, so I just cut off the pipe at the front of the cats, and bolted it to the manifold, mounted the mid section of the exhaust and cats to see where I had to join them, marked it, cut it, re-fit it, tack'd it pulled it off, then fully welded it.. (flange joints)

Come up a treat, looks pretty sweet, nice solid welds.. good penetration, lol,

Its pretty quiet, almost stock, but there is a little gurgle there - from the twin system, but before I put the resinator on I started it up, gave it a rev, and it sounded quite nice hey, a real unique sort of note - deep and gurgle-y.. no where near as loud as a full straight through system, but a very nice level for someone not wanting any drone at all, or attracting too much attention to them selves.. in the very near future ill be getting two bits of straight pipe for the rear section where the resinator goes - just swap the crome tips over should be the go..

If your thinking about doing this, i'd reccomend it, its a real nice note - not crazy loud, and no drone... If you have fitted other exhausts, or are ok at welding id say do it yourself, but if you've never used a welder, probly just get someone to do it... (although I hate paying people to work on my car!! or reccommending others do so..)

Anything else just ask, I didnt take photos of me doing it, I thought of it, but then was like nahh stuff it, I didnt think anyone was going to be interested, but I can get some finished shots if anyone would like?..

white vyII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
Yer that'd be awesome if you could get some pics up of it finished, like of the cats and hangers.
sounds like its the go, the only other thing id do would be changing the rear res to a straight through muffler or twin hot dogs. make sure it doesn't drone but still opens it up a bit for some noise!
Thanks heaps for the info mate! cant wait to see the pics!

Also another thing how'd you change ya dash lights in ya display pic, you do it or someone else? how much?
Cheers

Ross D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Whats the difference between runing a resonator and no resonator?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
I tried to just lay under the car and take some snapshots, but its too low, haha cant really see anything, ill put it up on the ramps tomorrow some time, and see what I can get..

Does anyone know how to use photo bucket?? hope its easy, ill have a go tomozz..

Yeah I'm pretty sure i'm going to get rid of the rear resinator too, make it a little louder - it didnt sound droney when I started it in the drive?.. so hope theres none..

No probs bout the info, just before I did mine - was asking around and didnt get much - either people hadnt done it or didnt know?? just glad to help a bit :) i'll definately get some pics up for you guys too..

The dash lights --- a man, no a GOD!! lmao, named Phreddy, ASR audio and electronics... one of the sponsors on this site, at the top - I think the very top one. Usually every car is different - with the amount of lights that light up - auto/manual, stereo/no stereo, wheel buttons etc... so that changes the price, I dont think Greg/Phreddy likes discussing price on the open forums, just message him and ask for a custom price - he looks after us J/C guys, so should do you a decent price..
And he can also do Auxillary input - like for your MP3 player to plug in -- looks factory (the little switch) and low level pre-outs for amplifiers RCA cables for the stock blaupunkt stereo..

Ive got them all done, just waiting for him to do get onto the blue lights on the stereo.. they are still green looks out of place!! If you message him probly have to wait a while, he's busy as.. but if you havent heard in a couple of days, message him again..
And tell him Josh from the coast is going to come back down soon too!! need the blue lights sooon!

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whats the difference between runing a resonator and no resonator?

A little bit of noise, and maybe some drone - depending on the system..?

Alot of the 'sports' systems out there dont usually have a resinator - to make it that bit louder..

The VZ SS exhaust I have got on my VY V6 sounds nice with no resinator - no drone, nice and lumpy - for a stock six..

white vyII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
That should be awesome mate. Iwas checking out on the ls1 forum about doing this and greg from surflo exhausts said that changing the front/middle mufflers to hot dogs would make it sound pretty tough so i may go with that depending on how yours sounds without the rear res or a straight thru muffler or what ever you end up doing. You should record a sound clip and post it on here.

As for the pics I dont no if this will work but if you click on quick links then picture you can upload it in there then post the URL in the thread. If a pic of my ute comes up it works!

white-vyii-albums-ute-picture3537-ute-side.jpg

Also I checked out "GODS" site ha and am very impressed. seeing as though im in vic I was thinking about the DIY kit but we'll see, would probably be a big job! But yer fairly cheap I was thinking maybe 300 - 500 for the kit! lol but yer will proli be an option after exhaust, lowering and YT roller rockers!

Cheers Buddy