Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Manual VT weak cold start

samuel.scott93

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT SPAC 3.8 Manual
Just feels like its having issue turning over, then starts fine. Cold idles at about 1100.
Starting when shes hot or later in the day when its warmed up, its nowhere near as bad.
Should I replace starter motor? Wiring loom? Fuel pump?
The fuel pump is humming continuously too

Eagle-1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
so is it turning over ok? could be your idle control valve stuck , seems a bit high on idle , when was it last serviced ? can be your fuel filter blocked.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
my starting problems went away as soon as I fitted new battery terminals last week
clean the key surround and is the key battery newish

what tune is the fuel pump humming ?
change fuel filter anyway

Idle is about 250 rpm above normal ..... isnt it
is there a bit of slack on the accelerator cable

still thinking about it

samuel.scott93

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT SPAC 3.8 Manual
Doesn't fail to start, shes just a little difficult to turn over. I might just be too used to my 2001 pulsar that starts as soon as you flick the key into start (trying to sell for $3400)
She was serviced a couple weeks ago. It only idles that high when its cold. After getting warm, she idles at around 700-800. On another note, My girlfriends 2005 toyota avalon idles at 1700 when its cold started. takes about 5 minutes to get down to 800. Ill look into new terminals.
The fuel pump is humming the tune to the simpsons... Its just a monotone drone. It just sounds like its running, but audibly. Is the fuel filter hard to get to?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
how many cars do you have in your fleet ----current ride a VN

fuel filter is up under the diff well behind the plastic tank ... ok to get to

clips and removal is another problem .. search the forum on replacing the fuel filter and the clip thingys

fuel pump shouldnt be that noisy .. you have to drop the tank to fit a new pump and sender ($110 approx)

if the 05 avalon is a v6 auto/manual
the idle control thingy may need looking at 1700 is to high and should drop quicker

you can get fault codes off of that avalon

samuel.scott93

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT SPAC 3.8 Manual
I just have my VT and the N16 I'm trying to get rid of. I wish I had a fleet. Used to have a 91 VN myself. As far as I know, its still going, and the clock stopped at 380k about 7 years ago. That thing just refuses to die.
My partners old Avalon (v6 auto, they are all V6 auto's) started idle at just under 1600 from memory. Some bastard in a ford ute cut her off and now she has a new Avalon and a few bruises.