Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Peformance Parts

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Steve on the site it says, may need valve springs if high mileage and wanting to fit roller rockers. What is considered high mileage, 200k or more? Also am i right in assuming the springs can't be swapped out without removing the heads?

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Executive S2 - Genuine Ex P/Car
Hi MACE Performance. I need advice from someone who knows Ecotecs...
So I have a 1999 VT with an Ecotec V6

Existing Mods:
K&N High Flow Filter,
Lightly Bored Throttle Body,
MACE 25mm Plenum Spacer,
MACE 25mm LIM Insulator,
Lightly Bored, Longer, Intake Runners,
-
SS Long Tube Headers,
That Merge Into 2x 2.5” Pipes,
That Merges Into 1x 3.0” High Flow Exhaust
Including a 3” High Flow Cat & 3x Straight Through Mufflers

What should I do next to get the most efficient use of power out of a naturally aspirated engine.
(Without disassembling the engine block itself)

Bigger Injectors ?
High Ratio Rockers ?
Piggy Back ECU or Chip Tune ?
Bigger Throttle Body ?
Balance Shaft Delete ?
Double Row Timing Chain & Crow Cam ?
Stiffer Valve Springs ?
Higher Volume Fuel Pump ?
Thinner Head Gasket (To increase compression) ?
More Timing ?
Running 98 Octane or Higher ?
Additional or Bigger Oil Cooler ?

My ultimate goal (long term) is to make 333rwkw :) Any advice would be endlessly helpful.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Boost!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your replies guys, a turbo is definitely in the pipeline for this car, but I'm super poor so I have to buy one part at a time.
Also, after installing a full exhaust (from the block back) I noticed a fairly substantial power gain. I was hoping there were some other "cheap" bolt-on mods that would complement the extra power from the exhaust. I'm thinking High ratio rockers and a tune from MACE Performance..?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My ultimate goal (long term) is to make 333rwkw :) Any advice would be endlessly helpful.

Ouch. Thats a big job and you'll only do it through hella boost. Delcowizzard style hella boost. You'd need a 8-10k budget and thats DIY. I got 260rwkw out of an eco with 14 pounds from a Raptor sidemount as per my sig below.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the minor supporting mods, save your cash for that turbo.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ouch. Thats a big job and you'll only do it through hella boost. Delcowizzard style hella boost. You'd need a 8-10k budget and thats DIY. I got 260rwkw out of an eco with 14 pounds from a Raptor sidemount as per my sig below.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the minor supporting mods, save your cash for that turbo.

You are probably right, I plan (longterm) to buy a block and slowly fill it with all the strongest parts I can get and then put plenty of boost through it. It's nice to know the engine is capable of close to what I want, I'd just love to know I could walk all over most V8's on the road.

Right now I'm just looking for something a little more exciting. The full 3" free-flow exhaust made a noticeable difference, now I'm thinking about a Memcal from MACE Engineering. I think that and a cam are all I'm really going to be able to do in the short-term...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you fit a cam the Mace memcal will be pretty much redundant. Cam will need a dyno tune, most likely. Do you have the Mace CAI yet? Mace roller rockers are an easier option than a cam and will work with a Mace memcal.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You are probably right, I plan (longterm) to buy a block and slowly fill it with all the strongest parts I can get and then put plenty of boost through it. It's nice to know the engine is capable of close to what I want, I'd just love to know I could walk all over most V8's on the road.
For street driving there is no substitute for cubic inches...

MACE

Reaction score
If you fit a cam the Mace memcal will be pretty much redundant. Cam will need a dyno tune, most likely. Do you have the Mace CAI yet? Mace roller rockers are an easier option than a cam and will work with a Mace memcal.
Assuming that its an ecotec and you run stage 2 cam, we can 100% tune the memcal and it will work as advertised, Stage 3, however, will need a dyno tune. In regards to rockers, they are a really good replacement for these cams assuming you don't plan on camming your motor in future, because if you do then you'll have to switch back to standard rockers.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
Jason