Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 scene? much happening?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Our boosted mang just went 370rwkw hopefully enough to run a 9.99 next season

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My Buick is still stock. Looking at a MACE memcal. Is it worth putting one on, or will I need CAI and Pacemakers to notice any improvement? I'm not looking for huge increases just a little more oomph for overtaking and when I'm towing or carrying a load. Also if I get a bored TB will I need a different memcal tune again or will the Mace one be ok?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Auto or manual?

There are some benefits but probably best with a few simple mods. A decent CAI will help.

TB won't effect the auto trans that much as the VR is MAP tuned. It's the MAF tuned vehicles that upset the tune if you enlarge the TB.

But yes, they go better with a tune that adds a little fuel up top and some timing, the factory tune is a bit soft.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Auto or manual?

There are some benefits but probably best with a few simple mods. A decent CAI will help.

TB won't effect the auto trans that much as the VR is MAP tuned. It's the MAF tuned vehicles that upset the tune if you enlarge the TB.

But yes, they go better with a tune that adds a little fuel up top and some timing, the factory tune is a bit soft.

Yeah auto and plan on keeping it that way. I can get a memcal for under 200 bucks from MACE so something I can aim for in the next couple of months. Might be able to get set of Pacemakers off a VP if the wrecker hasn't sold them. I did hear that I would need a different tune again if I fitted an overside TB. Good to know this is not the case. CAI is on the list but a fair way down as they are quite exi for something decent like a MACE one. Probably look at CAI before new TB though. All gonna come down to if nothing goes wrong over the next few months. Had a pretty rough run since buying it but hopefully should be on top of repairs now, unless DFI and coils fail. Give it dues only sensor I have had to replace out of necessity in the last 12 months is the TPS.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Great for burnouts, but probably not so for street driving. I put a 70mm TB on my old VN and throttle response was just silly, slightest tough of the throttle would see the revs come up real quick with it been a manual. When I was doing a lot of long distance stuff it was ok but when I changed jobs and had to do a lot of stop/start driving I went back to a 65mm TB as it was more manageable with the other mods I had. That manifold has 2 TB's so the throttle is going to be touchy as.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The TB is mostly wank. I ran 18 pounds into an eco and it still wasn't restrictive. Buick is about the same. If I'd done more internal work maybe it would warrant it.

As immortality said intake, exhaust and tune are a great place to start. Also a Corvette servo in the trans for some snap and if you want a cheap go fast mod 3.9-4.1 diff ratio will do it nicely.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah from what I understand a bored TB won't increase HP. I believe it acts like you are putting your foot down more is all. I wouldn't consider the Tunnel manifold with dual TB's. I don't have a track car so it would be a defect waiting to happen. I suspect you would want a pretty tricked up engine with HD everything if someone was needing one of those manifolds. I only came across it as eBay suggested it.
I'll start with a memcal as it's quick to fit and a must if trying to improve on factory VR V6. Pacemakers I really want but it's finding the time to remove them off the wreck, that is if he still has them. Might go have a look on Thurs and figure out what I need to do to get them off. Wrecker is in a muddy old paddock so really need to get onto it before the rain starts. I won't be changing the stock LSD as it is in really good shape bearing and seal wise. I'd pretty confidently say the cones need machining. But diff bloke said if he does them he would want to overhaul the bearings as well. Makes it a $500 plus job and not something I would tackle myself. If I want lower gears I could drop down to a 225/40 instead of the 50 or 55 I have now.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My ute already has a 2.5" Redback cat back, so just needs some decent headers. I read about getting twin cats or hi flow cat but I have modded cats before and really seemed to make little or no difference to HP. Although when I did the former I just gutted the cat. Maybe a hi flow or twin could have been better. I'd be interested to know if gutting a cat on a Buick would increase HP. Id soon grab one from a wreck and try it if I thought it would help. Not gonna gut mine as it is in really good nic.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If you got benchseat handbrake cable is in the way to go twin cats....cruddy y-pipe is major restriction,twin cats help but not necessary on stocker v8.

Pacies will make more of a bigger difference,mace style airbox & memcal off pcmhacking peeps best vfm.

v8 throttle body is 65mm...if yours already has it do 3 mods above & corvette servo/deep pan/transcooler.Call it done.