Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Suggested Enhancements - VK Compatible? would you suggest it?

kurtbarker

Reaction score
I was just on commodoreclub.net and there was a post about enhancements made to a V6 commodore, I know it wasn't a pre 89 commodore but not sure what the exact model was, the suggested upgrades were:
1. K&N panel filter
2. Cold Air Intake
3. 2.5" Exhaust & extractors
4. higher ratio rockers
5. diff gears
6. head work
7. cam & chip
8. forced induction

Could someone please explain what each of these things are, and then if you would recommend progressing through the list?

Secondly where can I get this sort of stuff done? and what will it cost me?

Thanks guys
Kurt

Last edited:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ok your BIGGEST gains in power will be in induction thats getting air & fuel into the engine. The more air and fuel in the engine at bang time the more power is produced as long as all the air and fuel are ignited of course.

So with that in mind

1st Head work - bigger valves, heavy valve springs (make valves close faster at higher load/RPM),ported inlet & exhaust (thats where your manifolds join ontot he head.
2nd - exhaust - when you put more air and fuel in you need to get the gasses out.
3rd - CAM - this controls when and for how long your valves open. If your inlet valves open further and longer more air and fuel go in thus the same for the exhaust but more gasses go out.
4th - high flow injectors - if you engine needs more fuel you have to feed it.
5th - aftermarket EFI from memory you have an EFI 202. Dont bother with the stock computer & airflow meter setup buy something like a Haltec E6X with coil packs. Once the engine is run it get it dyno tuned
After all this has been done you would then get the most benefit from a after market air filter (less restrictive) & COld air intake (sourcing cold air to put intot he engine)
7th - Diff gears if your not doing alot of highway runs.

Ok now for some other info.
Dont just slap on a new head and think your going to have a rocket ship. All the components in the engine will work together to produce the power so you need to build a bottom end of an engine to stand up to the extra load from the top end.

So you need the bottom end balenced and lightened (helps the engine rev up quicker and smoother) stronger push rods, cam to suit engine build, head job, EFI work then you will have something with getup and go.

Now costs to have an engine build sourcing all new parts or having parts machined up you will part with around $5000 plus the aftermarket injection around the $2000 plus about $800 for dyno time, plus about $600 for the exhaust.

Good second hand parts will cost you far less probably get your engine build cost down to around $2500 and be just as good, after market injection try finding it secondhand.

If you did look at the list in the order its in.

First of all you need to decide, are you going to Turbo or supercharge? if so build the engine accordingly.
Next the CAI & filter and cheap mods but on a stock engine very little gains are to be had.
Exhaust same thing you will only get a small gain out of it untill other mods are done, possibly even a drop in power.

I would never recommend bolting on a set of high ratio rockers opnto an engine. without going into emmence detail, the cam moves the rockers who then open the valves. if a cam has 380thou of lift standard with 1.6:1 rockers standard giving an effective 608thou of lift. If you bolt on say 2:1 rockers that would effectivly with you 760 thou of lift.
Problem : If valves open too far or at the wrong time they could hit the bore of the block (had this happen before) or hit a piston.
When an engine is built to spec the engine builder (or person building the engine) will check clearances as they assemble this is usually called a blue print. Some places dont but thats the difference between a good builder and a bad one.

cheers
Scott

Dexn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina S2
[removed Dexn's dribblings]

vkberlina's post mopped the floor with mine! :eek: