Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 to v8

Jack304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr s pac ve ss ute
He legends I know this has probably been asked before but can’t find the answers I’m looking for

Doing a v6 to v8 conversion on my vr spac
I have a vn 5l with harness and t700 just wondering what ecu is best suited for the conversion and harness wise have been told the vr body harness won’t allow the speedo to work on the t700 am I best of getting a vr harness and ecu with vats deleted

Any help is appreciated
Cheers

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
He legends I know this has probably been asked before but can’t find the answers I’m looking for

Doing a v6 to v8 conversion on my vr spac
I have a vn 5l with harness and t700 just wondering what ecu is best suited for the conversion and harness wise have been told the vr body harness won’t allow the speedo to work on the t700 am I best of getting a vr harness and ecu with vats deleted

Any help is appreciated
Cheers
The vr uses the t700e so the speedo won't work. I don't know but would a vn speedo fit.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s a VN, but it might help?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
VR ECU has more power than the 808ecu in vn's etc because of 4l60e electronic trans control.
But if you find a VR manual ECU it might make your life easier.
Otherwise I believe a VN ECU with VATS disabled might get you through (although different loom plug and different diag port)
Maybe a VR auto ECU with a manual tune stacked might be the best option??

Could be a good question for PCM hacking website.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I wonder if you can use vn/p vss + divide vby 5 circuit & little harness that goes up trans tunnel then tap it into speedo signal wire....

Reasonably sure need to repin vn plug to suit vr dash plug & add aldl plug.

To fit vr harness & ecu would need to basically done as a manual vr v8 & also change dissy or that plug to suit...no simple answer due to differences between vn & vr

What surprises me the most is how so many peeps buy v8 conversions without researching which donor models be easiest to use instead of making it hardere for themselves.

Reactions: Lex

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Vr manual harness to suit t5 should sort it. The issue is the square wave signal (t5 and th700) and sine wave (getrag and 4l60e) sensor signals. 424 and 531 pcm's cannot read the earlier square wave apparently.