Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 VN Dragger

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
Here is my project:

I wanted to build a play car that I could use to flog on my local 1/8 mile. I also wanted to get maxium performance on a minimal budget just as a challenge. So after doing a bit of reacherch and looking around I purchased myself a 5speed v6 vn. My aim is to try to get into the 13-14 sec quarter mile times on an under $2500 budget.

So far so good.

I paid $500 for the car
$100 for a crank angle sensor :ranting:
$80 for a 2 1/2" cat back exhaust
$60 for a performance memcal
$150 for a fitted mini spool
$0 for a massive amount of weight reduction

I ran a meet at my local 1/8mile and got a best time of 9.60 sec. but after around 12 runs blew my clutch.

Now I have spent $330 on a heavyduty RPM clutch
$80 on a v8 throttle body
I just got myself a set of vn HSV rims with semi slicks for $150
I have done some more weight reduction
and I have some traction compound comming which will cost around $30

With these few mods I hope to gain .25 to .35 of a sec.
I will find out and post the results by late this month.

Total cost so far is $1480 and the lil vn is getting pretty darn fast. Unfortunately I dont have a 1/4 mile time yet but after I get some extractors and get new plugs/ leads etc,etc I will possibly make the 3hr trip to calder park to give it a go.

I will eventually end up running a 100- 150hp shot of nitrous but for now I want to see how hard I can get the lil sucker goin with natural aspiration and 0 internal mods.

Ill keep yous posted :thumbsup:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
9.6! that's gota be the fastest almost stock VN in the known universe allready :), should be good for a high 14 as it is

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, total cost is now up to $1590. I was replacing the clutch my self on the day of bathurst and after a few troubles and a few beers I gave up and sent it to a mechanic up the road. He only charged me $110 for the fitting of my clutch a top up on gear oil and he tapped out a couple busted bolts in my throttle bodie. What a legend :) :) :)

will

Reaction score
I was just wondering what is the RPM clutch like, as im lookin around for a new heavy duty clutch in my vs series 1

Thanks

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Because its not street driven I cant really say for sure, but I have given it a bit of a flogging around home and it seems to be real good. I have a drag meet in two weeks so I will let you know how it holds out.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
damn man that's really friggin good I'm impressed what a bargain. Keep us up to date with your results man.

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Back again,

I finally got to run at a drag meet again.
To start with my times were around the same as the 1st time I ran it (9.6). But after my brother gave it a run I realised that I wasnt heating the tyres enough and slipped into the 9.4 to 9.5 area.

After I ran my time bracket and got elimanated I got to run some grudge matches and with some HUGE wheelies to warm the tyres I ran a 9.2 1/8th, thats right a 9.2 :) :) :) im not 100% sure but I think that that is awsome for a 0 internalally modded v6......

But the high light for the day for me was the end of it all, the burnout comp.... I had been dreaming of doing my 1st ever burnout comp.... I never thought I would be the bugger that took the trophy home for winning it. It was awsome, my 1st attempt at a burnout comp and i won it :)

I have the burnout comp footage Ive just got to figure out how to get photobucket to host it for yous, then I will post the link, it goes for 4mins.

Picture399.jpg

I have attempted to attach a pic of the beast warming its tyres, if it doesnt work follow the link.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Far out man, you are the V6 King!, what else have you done to the car lately to get it down to 9.2? just better driving? Post up all the stuff on the time slip, I want to figure out what it would do on the 1/4 mile

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately they only put the times down on the slips but I can tell you that I was going about 130-135kph at the end of the 1/8th when I was getting the 9.4- 9.5s. When I pulled the 9.2 I didnt even glance at the speedo, and because it was in a grudge match they didnt hand out a time slip either, they just announced the time over the loud speaker.
I knew that it was a good run before they announced it anyway. I got the tyres sticky as hell and got the best take off I have ever felt. I had the throttle mashed to the floor when I dumped the clutch and got 0 wheel spin.

As for the $500 for the car, it didnt look anything like it does now when I got it. It had been sideswiped and was stock and ugly lol. I did the pannelwork myself and also gave it a quick spray over. (i forgot to mention that earlier) Up close though the paint isnt verry good, but it is only a race car after all.

Heres how it did look, the only thing I had done was lower it at this stage.

Picture126.jpg

Picture008-2.jpg