Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 base ignition timing adjustment

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
I had my base ignition timing adjusted today. My car has a stage 3 crow cam with crow chip and stock internals.

Apparently it was orignally set at 20 degree's advance. But i thought this seemed a little odd since it is a non hsv engine (no knock sensor) and it didnt ping, even if i reved it full throttle right up to redline.

They reset the timing back to 10 degree's, but i was wondering, could it be possilbe that the timing was being read and adjusted NOT in diagnostic mode? Or is it possible for an engine with a cam of that size and low compression to be able to run 20 degree's advance and not ping? 20 degree's advance just seems a little odd considering it was driving fine and wasnt pinging.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
How does it feel on the road? If it was running 20 degrees base timing and not pinging and now it's back to 10, I'd imagine it would be pretty sluggish. Anyway, considering the low compression of a 5 litre and now you will be loosing even more comp with that cam, 20 degrees would be quiet possible without it pinging.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
It idles better now, but hard to tell if its more sluggish, because it only goes hard up top with the cam, doesnt have much low down touque.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
It was done in diagnostic mode, i checked it. I think i might run a bit more advance maybe 14 degrees since it didnt really have any issues with 20 degrees

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
check your total timing thats more important