Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 carby or efi

sandman_538

Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 vk calais
hey all i work in a car shop and can get performance engines n heads n nethin i want and im puttin a v8 into the old VK calais make a bit of a sleeper....i was just wondering on what your imputs are on wether to go the fuel injected v8's or a old carby black engine?? cheers

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
EFI all the way more power, better performance, more reliable, better on fuel.

After driving & working on/building both carbie & EFI cars id never own a carbie car

cheers
Scott

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
Is it possible to make EFI's sound as grunty as carby engines?

My 308 has a real nice warm grunt and I've got the feeling I'd never be able to get that back with a newer engine, otherwise I'd drop in an LS1. Half the charm of my car is the rumble and the roar, would hate to lose it in favour of performance I might never get to use.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Its only exhaust and induction noise your hearing on a carbie V8, no reason an EFI cant or doesnt sound like that. My 5L has a nice throaty induction noise thanks to the K&N filter panel the exhaust has anice note to it as well.
I know what you mean with the Gen III some sound like crap but a well made exhaust will sound good.

cheers
Scott

M

mitchplz520

carbies all the way man!!!more power for cheaper.egparts for the engine,and i dont think injection can sound as throaty as a carb engine.

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
I'll organise to take a short video clip of my car driving past with sound so you can hear what it sounds like, then you might be able to tell me if I can achieve that with an LS1.

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
Go EFI
More power across the whole rev range. Better on fuel, and it isn't that expensive to do now days.
Just think of the V8 super cars, they’re EFI and they sound good.

I'm running EFI on my 202, and have had a lot of comments on how sweet it sounds, some don't believe me when I inform them it’s a 6 :) So you can imagine how a nice efi 8 would sound then.

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Go carby. i love the real big lump you can get out of them when you modem. shake you round really well. plus i think you can get a better sound out of a carby.

Just my two cents worth

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Genesis said:
I'll organise to take a short video clip of my car driving past with sound so you can hear what it sounds like, then you might be able to tell me if I can achieve that with an LS1.
Genesis: The sound could be achieved without me hearing it, its just a matter of getting the right combination of sized headers, twin pipe size into a single or duel system, mufflers, cats etc But yes I have heard Gen IIIs that sound very sweet and nearly identical to an older style V8

Generally with a performance exhaust for a Gen III it would be different to one for an old 308 or EFI 304 etc, bigger engine, more stringent noise laws after 1983. For a (stock engine) Gen III you might opt for headers with 1 3/4 primaries into a 2.5" pipe where as a 308/304 might be 1 1/4 primaries into a 2" or 2 1/4 pipe and as the Gen III is a larger capacity it should have a larger exhaust to allow proper exhaust flow so of course you would get a different note if you were to fit a performance exhaust but if you were to build an exhaust specifically to achieve the same note of course you could get something very close but it may hurt performance.

cheers
Scott

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
So is it viable to look at dropping an LS1 into the VC?

If you think I could achieve a nice warm engine and exhaust tone from it, I'm willing to trust your judgement. I'd be looking at twin pipes to twin exhaust anyway, big fan of the tips coming out at each side. The rest I would do as money allowed to build it with a nice compromise of sound and power.