Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 fuel saver

blaringmike

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
One of my dad's mates was going to buy a VE ss. He'd always had SS's and was a bit worried about all the fuel he had been using, so when he went into the dealership to look at the new SS's he told the dealer he wasnt sure he wanted to spend so much money on fuel so the dealer told him to wait to mid '07 when they are definatley introducing some major fuel saving thing.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
One of my dad's mates was going to buy a VE ss. He'd always had SS's and was a bit worried about all the fuel he had been using, so when he went into the dealership to look at the new SS's he told the dealer he wasnt sure he wanted to spend so much money on fuel so the dealer told him to wait to mid '07 when they are definatley introducing some major fuel saving thing.

that makes sense,, anyone with half a brain would realise that holden wouldnt release all there new stuff at once, right now people are buying the commodres cause its new, and in a year or so holden will go "hey look, were improved the commodre again" and people will go buy that one,
unlike ford the only thing they have change in the last 5 years is the front bumper and made a new gearbox as a option

Rombles

HSVDT #1
Reaction score
Website
rombles.msn.space.com
Members Ride
HSVDT Limited Ed'n Z Series Clubsport #8-6.0L/M6
The thing that I have always wondered about with DOD is what does it sound like on 4 cylinders? I mean half the fun of the V8 is the noise....

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
you know, that defeats the purpose of a v8, if you're cruising, you wanna hear the beast roar :thumbsup:

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
I know we V8 owners are not supposed to be worried about fuel consumption as our brains are only supposed to be focussed on the power.

However - just for information - I estimate my VE SSV is around 4 to 5L per 100klm more efficient than my VY SS.

I am doing similar driving in the new car - 80% commuting on non motorway roads - and getting an average of 14.2L per 100klm after each tankful.

Worst has been 15.39L and best 12.63L.

I'm very happy about the fuel consumption plus enjoying the V8.

Maybe DoD will gain another 1 to 2 litres per 100Klm. So for those holding back - hope this feedback is of use and maybe reconsider missing out until next year.

Cheers

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
...just for information - I estimate my VE SSV is around 4 to 5L per 100klm more efficient than my VY SS...

Even though fuel consumption is not a big issue for me, that's very encouraging.

I plan to trade the VY SS for a VE SSV in December 2008. Who knows, they may even have DoD by then?

Does anyone know, does the engine run rough on just 4 cylinders? Also, is performance on the full 8 cylinders affected in any way?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Nah it doesnt have any impact on performance... thats a good question regarding sound and idle etc. though when its only on 4 cylinders..

Im willing to bet HSV will get the DOD first though. Next year im hoping they upgrade to the LS3... As in the states next year, all LS2 engines are being succeeded by the LS3... So we can only hope HSV will be the same. And I have a feeling that would come with the DOD hardware. The issue is, Holden is not yet convinced that DOD is what its cracked up to be.

NVESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS [6M]
If fuel consupmtion and costs are a huge concern for people they simply won't buy a V8. For me it's not an issue, and I have had similar consumption readings to SSV8pilot. In fact on a trip to heathcote the other week it was as low as 9.8!

Having 4 cylinders cut out of your V8 is like Having a Pizza without the cheese! :D

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Having 4 cylinders cut out of your V8 is like Having a Pizza without the cheese! :D

But still a nice feature for those highway cruise control 110 - 120 kph trips. If it only needs 4 cylinders I'm all for it...

But you are right about not being concerned about fuel consumption. I am not concerned about it either although my new VE Calais is only going to have the 195kw V6 in it simply because I don't need the power of a V8 (and my weekend ride, a fully restored 1970 Holden Premier 308 V8 is enough fun on the side for me).

Depreciation is much more expensive than the slight increase in fuel costs for V8s.

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
I'mgetting rough 14's but am also having some fun. If I'm really concious I can get 11's ........but I did buy it for the looks, the power and the sound, guess I want my cake and eat it too!