Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 kilometres?

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I was the same, especially after working at the auctions, where value is taken off the km's.

But consider this; Is a 3 year old car with 200,000kms's better or worse then a 10 year old car with 100,000kms?

TAS1981

Reaction score
Tried a 2007 SSV with 46k kms and the same car with 107k kms. The latter was in better condition and they felt identical to drive. I saved myself $5k in the difference so as long as nothing wrong costs more than that I don't care. I prob wouldn't buy a higher miler than what I bought but that's just me. Buy on condition and service history first, then examine the owner then look at the kms.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Yea like if you had an ssv series 2 and traded it with 200k plus on the clock they will probably only give you 15 grand or something stupid because nobody will buy it. Mines an MY09 had 41k on the clock had 29,990 on it with sunroof park sensors 20" factory optioned wheels and nav. So I got it for 25 changeover which I thought that was a good price.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Good point, some people hang on to a house and keep the attachment longer than they should financially, whereas I seem to hold on to cars and bikes that keep rewarding, and sell properties. Each to their own.
I kept a BMW 2002 tii for a couple of decades like a familiar pair of jeans and clocked hundreds of kklm over several drivetrains, my mate still covets my first car (an EK) like Steven King's Christine.
Maybe Deus ex machina has seduced me again with the Black Pearl. At least until my son turns 21.

Last edited:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Its all about service history. My 5.7 has over 200k on it now and still drives like new, still makes good power and still quiet on cold start. Thats after doing oil and filter every 5k, I dont wish to add up that cost but its worth it.

Good thing about the V8s is if theres any issues you can usually hear it. They will either knock or tap loudly to warn you away. If it starts easily, doesnt blow smoke or make any abnormal noises youre pretty safe.

Marco_VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF2 Redline M6
175k on my SS and other than a little oil use between services, all remains well. Mine has done lots of highway work though, I don know that I'd buy a Sydney car with that mileage.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Good point. My mate had a vy with 220k on the clock ss Ute manual immaculate condition cosmetically and mechanically except first gear was getting a little temperamental which would be a Synchro no doubt. But yea service history and how it's treated is imperative.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

SSfluro

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 08 & VY SS 04
I was in a similar boat firstly I wanted an SSV I wasn't willing to get a standard SS I had a few options but wanted to get one from a dealership had to be black, and after looking around found one that had around 89 thousand k's but had one owner no mods full service history which was done at Holden which also made it easy to contact the Holden dealership to get a full review of the cars service history.
I also purchased just before the end of financial year and was able to knock the price down by several thousand in the end purchasing for only $22,500 the inside is immaculate as is the outside, few scuff marks n the rims but there about to be gloss black anyways, I would yeah check service history and if its been done up to date then yeah go ahead they are really great cars to drive.

Shauno-81

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0L VE Calais-V.
Like everyone keeps saying mate if the car has been serviced regularly and it doesn't have excessive k's I don't see a problem, I just bought an 06 ve Calais v 6.0L with 144,000 km which is about the 20 thou a year, the previous owner always looked after it and always kept the services up to it which was obvious on inspection, I got him down to $13500 which I think was a great price considering they're still going for up around the 20 mark, some with less k's obviously. that can be the positive thing if your willing to look around the 150 mark on a ve you'll get it cheaper, having said that I only work 10min from home so after a few yrs my k's will be reasonably low. If your doing high k's I'd be looking for something under or round 100

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
As it is with buying any used car, there is always a degree of risk involved.

As long as the car has a full service history (Preferably with the intermediate 6 month ones done also), you're going to be a safe as you can get.

If you are buying used from a dealer, there will be at least a 3 month warranty on a car that is under 10 years old, which is reassuring to some degree - Unless you're dealing with a real dodgy place. If you are buying privately, without a doubt, getting a full inspection prior to purchasing is advisable. Obviously if something major is found, you know to walk away. If it's something minor, you may be able to talk the seller down a bit to pay for those repairs... Well worth spending the money on this, even when buying from a dealership. It's always nice to ask hot the mileage was done. You may find it's high because they live 60km's from work & it's mostly highway km's. Never a guarantee they'll answer honestly, but worth a shot :)

Based on the amount of older Holden (& Ford) V8's getting about, they really do seem to stand the test of time when looked after.