Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 on LPG ?

Graham downunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais
New member here, I am thinking of getting my VF Calais V wagon which is a V8 converted to LPG using the Orbital Liquid LPG system . I have two other commodores on LPG which I'm happy with ,a VY sedan 3.8 aftermarket conversion and a VZ 3.6 wagon with a factory conversion with about 330,000 kms which I'm also happy with . Does anyone have experience with a V8 on LPG and are they happy/ not happy with it ? I have a good LPG installer that I will use he says they are great on LPG as he has done a few hire cars . As I have done about 15,000 Klm in 5 months the saving is worth considering and the car will stay in the family .

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You'll get more power, and the cost of filling up is less than half of the price of petrol (here in vic, anyway). Being a liquid injected system, the mileage on gas should be about the same as petrol. At most, usage might go up by two litres/100km. Which is still well worth it.

You'll be pretty happy with it.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I have a LS1 which I converted to Vapour Injected LPG about 4 years ago, runs perfect with it, no issues, plenty of power, hardly any extra fuel usage, no complaints.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Liquid Injected LPG should get you more power and use less fuel too.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Yep, same here, got the vapour injected system, uses 11.7L/100 on gas or 12.5L/100 on petrol! The liquid injection system should be even better with better than petrol power, as LPG is 107RON or if you can get straight propane, 110RON. Propane gives same economy figures, but much better power under foot, retails for about 3cpl dearer, so that makes it about 55cpl LOL!

Other than a small leak, no probs at all with mine after 149,000Kms

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Did you get the tank in the boot or the replacement wheel tank? Does the tank take up much of the boot?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
I got the spare wheel replacement tank, it's only around 45L but as the efficiency is better it still gets me around 330km to a tank (around town)
They just installed a clamp on the side which the spare goes on, this one is worth it in my opinion, you still have access to nearly the whole cargo space.

Graham downunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais
Well I've had the conversion done in the last couple of days so I must say it works perfect so far .It starts on petrol then switches to gas after 50 seconds without being able to detect it unlike my VZ factory one . Fuel economy is hard to judge so far only about 250 kms. Will keep you informed on how well it runs .

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Well I've had the conversion done in the last couple of days so I must say it works perfect so far .It starts on petrol then switches to gas after 50 seconds without being able to detect it unlike my VZ factory one . Fuel economy is hard to judge so far only about 250 kms. Will keep you informed on how well it runs .

Which one did you get Graham and who installed it? Did you get the spare wheel tank or the one that takes half the boot? I'm thinking seriously myself.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride

If it's anything like mine, then you will love it :)

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

How much? pick of under bonnet would be nice to