Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Q's.. Buying a VE SSV (my first V8) chasing some info and feedback

Shamous69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09
Hi all,

Please don't flame me for posting this thread, I tried some searches but basically didn't find what I wanted.

I'm about to buy a 2007 SSV 6speed Manual off a mate, has 111k on the clock, are there any common issues or preventative maintenance that I should look at? Or good habit maintenance that I should undertake?
I know this particular SSV has been serviced regularly and properly, he's driven it with enthusiasm (only occasionally, but has certainly never flogged it). The computer died in it once and he got a new replacement and has had no issues since, he has had 3 head unit replacements but it appears they found the cause of them failing in the last install (bad wiring which was corrected). Apart from that he's had no issues since 55k when he bought it.

It's had it's 105,000km service, but being my first V8 what could I maybe expect in terms of life span of mechanical and electrical components? (I know, it's a silly question, but a rough idea) I've had V6's for years and had no dramas getting them over 300,000km even with a lot of hard driving and without having to overhaul heads or the like, so I've had a good run and my maintenance has paid off so that gives you an idea that I look after my vehicles.
I plan to enjoy this extra power and give it plenty, 30-50% of the time I suppose. I do 50/50 highway/city driving. I won't be limiter bashing it though or doing massive mods, maybe OTR, Xforce exhaust, won't be touching internals. I'm rather meticulous with my maintenance (5,000k oil changes, oil levels always checked etc) could I see over say 250,000k's out of it without too much drama if I keep my maintenance top notch?

Reason I ask is you hear all kinds of stories from the haters and even some from those who love the V8s. Just wanted to hear some feedback in general.
Thanks in advance for any positive feedback!

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
first issue: your buying it off a mate, if you want to keep the friendship don't buy the car, just think "why is he selling the car, is there a problem that he isn't telling me about" and the minute you do anything to it they will get jealous and wish they had done it, or you get what my brother got and his "mate" thought he could drive it whenever because it "use to be" his car, bro let him drive it (after a lot of pestering) he thrashed the hell out of it before putting into a power pole then threatened to sue because my brother had work done to it and his so called "mate" wasn't use to the extra power (all he had done was new set of rims and a VCM OTR)

What price are you looking at? definatly have a look around first with other V8s in your price range.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
depends on your mate, he sounds trustworthy being that he's told you openly about the issues he's had like a computer etc - wrangle him on price though and don't take carsales as a gauge - many of those cars sit on there for a loooong time before they move. It's a buyers market.

I say go for it, and enjoy :thumbsup:

Shamous69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09
first issue: your buying it off a mate, if you want to keep the friendship don't buy the car, just think "why is he selling the car, is there a problem that he isn't telling me about" and the minute you do anything to it they will get jealous and wish they had done it, or you get what my brother got and his "mate" thought he could drive it whenever because it "use to be" his car, bro let him drive it (after a lot of pestering) he thrashed the hell out of it before putting into a power pole then threatened to sue because my brother had work done to it and his so called "mate" wasn't use to the extra power (all he had done was new set of rims and a VCM OTR)

What price are you looking at? definatly have a look around first with other V8s in your price range.

depends on your mate, he sounds trustworthy being that he's told you openly about the issues he's had like a computer etc - wrangle him on price though and don't take carsales as a gauge - many of those cars sit on there for a loooong time before they move. It's a buyers market.
I say go for it, and enjoy :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys! I have been great mates with the guy I'd be buying it off for 20 years and he is definitely 100% genuine, I've never known a more honest person out there, so if there were any other issues he would tell me. He's selling because he and his wife and planning for the future and want to buy two cars with the sale from one. I've driven the car itself quite a few times and loved it.
He's asking $21k. It has custom 20" mags and sunroof over the average SSV and think that's nearly 12 months rego too. Just needs a good clean and polish but it's only $300 for a complete detail which I'm happy to organise. I've done a bit of research and found thats about $2-3k cheaper than anything else in my region.

While thinking about rego, does anyone know what a V8 would set me back for 12 months in QLD? I'd be guessing around $1k?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
yup rego is about a grand.

that price sounds steep to me, you need to knock at leat $2-3k off anything out there to get what they are really selling for.

The wheels do nothing for the price at all. The k's for a 6 yo vehicle, are on the higher side as well. 50-60 000 are "good" for a car that age.

Just look at this one for example, lower k's, leather, 2010 model and listed at $23,500 2010 Holden Commodore VE SS V MY10 and it's in QLD but that's beside the point.

Ball is in your court though, as I said - buyers market. I don't want to upset your mate, but those are the facts as they stand.

Shamous69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09
yup rego is about a grand.
that price sounds steep to me, you need to knock at leat $2-3k off anything out there to get what they are really selling for.
The wheels do nothing for the price at all. The k's for a 6 yo vehicle, are on the higher side as well. 50-60 000 are "good" for a car that age.
Just look at this one for example, lower k's, leather, 2010 model and listed at $23,500 2010 Holden Commodore VE SS V MY10 not in your region but that's beside the point.
Ball is in your court though, as I said - buyers market. I don't want to upset your mate, but those are the facts as they stand.

Some food for thought there.. thanks for that!