Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV V8 Commodore Radiator Issue, Radiator Exploded.

Brando1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V 2008
Urgent Help Needed:
Hi Everyone,
I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out because I'm facing a perplexing issue with my VE SSV V8 Commodore's radiator, and I'm hoping someone in the community might have some insights or advice.
Today, I had dropped my daughter off at school, we were in a bit of traffic for a while maybe 15 min of stop start. On the way back while filling up at the servo, my radiator unexpectedly popped, and water exploded out of it. This is the second time it has happened in less than a year, and it's a bit concerning. A few days before, my car had overheated, prompting me to take it to the mechanic. After a pressure test, the mechanic assured me that everything was fine and recommended a new radiator cap. Following this, the car ran at a cooler temperature for the next few days. However, the recent incident has left me puzzled and frustrated.
Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with their VE Commodore, specifically with the radiator suddenly exploding, releasing excessive pressure? I'd greatly appreciate any advice or information on what might be causing this problem. Could there be an underlying issue that the pressure test missed?
I'm genuinely baffled and would love to hear from anyone who has insights or has dealt with a similar situation. Your expertise could save me from another unexpected roadside incident.
The last time i changed the radiator i took the thermostat out.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Best regards
Brando.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The rad caps are a known issue on these. They need to be replaced with another gen cap every few years.

Brando1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V 2008
The rad caps are a known issue on these. They need to be replaced with another gen cap every few years.
The previous one was loose when I rolled into the mechanic.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
When you say it exploded, where in/on the radiator did it fail ?

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Was it a genuine radiator or aftermarket? I'd be looking at a genuine radiator and genuine cap.
Also, put a new thermostat in it. No need to run it without one.

Brando1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V 2008
Was it a genuine radiator or aftermarket? I'd be looking at a genuine radiator and genuine cap.
Also, put a new thermostat in it. No need to run it without one.
Hi Jada

I was a radiator of ebay, a bargain just over $100 delivered.